Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help with the planning!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Help with the planning!

Postby mickfeely » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:32 am

Hello, me and a buddy are planning a trip to Yosemite in early-mid July. We are both very physically fit, and are in the Army with numerous backpacking trips under our belt. We are from Annapolis Maryland, and are looking forward to traveling to the West Coast. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me plan this trip, we want to be on the trail for 4-5 days, and can tackle as many as 10-15 miles a day. I don't even know where to begin the planning process, because a lot of the permits are filled. If someone who has been to Yosemite before, and knows a pretty route could break it down for me then I would be forever grateful. Just maybe a list of where I am starting and ending, like a day by day sort of thing. Thank you to whoever helps me!
mickfeely

Re: Help with the planning!

Postby mickfeely » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:35 am

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf

Here is trailhead availability, thank you so much again in advance!
mickfeely

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:37 am

You've already started. Yeah, that Mono Meadow trailhead (trailhead #34) looks to be pretty clear for at least a fair part of July. Find the dates that work for you, book it! Call it first night camping for the permit application as Illilouette Creek. Exit Happy Isles. If you think you can do it in 4-5 days, give it 6 days out from your entry date to cover contingencies. It's also a lot more likely that in the outside chance that you don't get a reserved permit for that trailhead that you can get in on a walk-up permit with better odds than most of the other trailheads coming out of or around the Valley or even Tuolumne Meadows.

Another trip to look into is Ten Lakes Basin. Once you check it out, if that sounds better, but the entry at Yosemite Creek is all booked, come in from White Wolf, but it's going to add almost 6 miles more overall.

Look at pictures of both areas online. Get that map. Try to find the Tom Harrison 1:63,360 of Yosemite High Country. You should be able to get it/order it through the REI you guys have fairly close to you. Here's another link for the really basic general overview of the trailheads/trails in the park, but it's not a substitute for the real thing.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... eID=292137

You guys won't regret either route. If you guys get it decided and booked, you won't have any shortage of suggestions on everything you need to know.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mickfeely » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Phil,

If we were to do the Ten Lakes route, where would we sleep during once we enter White Wolf? Also, where would we exit for application purposes. Thank you so much, you've been a big help.
mickfeely

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:20 pm

You can stay the first night under your permit at the backpacker's camp at White Wolf itself. That'll also help somewhat with acclimatizing to altitude a bit and give you some extra prep time before you head out. After that, the next night you would camp at Ten Lakes Basin (that's what you'll put on the permit application as night #1) or Lower Grant Lake as a side-trip. Your exit can be May Lake, Tuolumne Meadows via Glen Aulin, or even Murphy Creek. Murphy Creek isn't where most people exit, but it is a shorter alternative, and can still be accessed by the Tuolumne shuttle. You guys should be able to pump that out in 3-4 days, easily.

Don't forget that you're going to need to carry bear canisters (which you can rent at the permitting stations/ Garcia 812s), so familiarize yourselves with how to pack them, what has to go in them, and make sure they're going to fit in your packs.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking