Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tioga Rd plowing update

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Tioga Rd plowing update

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm

I wish that it had - from the weather station reports as of today there were areas that got a few inches. The clouds were hanging right down on the mountains and it was very impressive but it looks like rain was sparse.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Mon May 09, 2016 2:18 pm

I don't think it did but I'm not there. I did watch the weather rather closely though up to 10,000 ft.

On a side note they announced that the plowing crews have met at Tenaya Lake so I'm wondering how long after the crews meet that the road is finished and opens. Anyone familiar with the road plowing schedule have an idea?

If it opens before May 20th I may try and change my permit.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Mon May 09, 2016 2:59 pm

That's a good start, but it's going to be close. There's still a lot for them to do for opening. They'll definitely be shooting for Memorial Day at the latest, weather permitting. Even though it's melting fast, there's still an awful lot of deep enough snow on those higher trails to make for rough and slow going, and the road is just the means to that end. You're probably still better off with your original lower elevation route plans, even if Tioga is open. If you guys get up there and hear or see differently when you pick up your permit, that's the best time to make the call.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking