Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Long term Parking in Mammoth

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Long term Parking in Mammoth

Postby drb1966 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Hallo!

I'm thru hiking the JMT early august. I trying to find long term parking in Mammoth to park my truck while on trail. I know I can long term park in Lone Pine but the shuttle schedule just gets me in too late to accomplish anything in Yosemite. So I'm sleeping in mammoth and catching the early shuttle to Lyell Canyon to jump straight in line when the shuttle arrives. I've heard there might be a possibility of long term parking at Devils Postpile park. any thoughts?
drb1966

Re: Long term Parking in Mammoth

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 20, 2016 9:21 am

I had a little trouble figuring out what you are doing.

I would drive to wherever you are ending the trip and take public transportation back to the trailhead in Yosemite, and hike to the car. It solves a multitude of issues. If it gets you to Yosemite late just stay in the backpacker camp, which you are entitled to do if you arrive into the park by bus, even if you have no permit yet. Or, just park in Yosemite in trailhead parking.

I've also parked at the ski lodge without issues while backpacking. You need no parking pass or anything, and as long as the car is clean of anything a bear or a thief might want it'll be fine parked close to the lodge. Ride the shuttle back to town, spend the night in Shady Rest, catch the YARTS in the morning into the park.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby drb1966 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:26 pm

my first plan was to park at the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce since I'm finishing the JMT on Whitney. However because the shuttle from Lon Pine to mammoth misses the early shuttle from Mammoth to Yosemite, I figured I'd stay in mammoth so I could just get up early and catch the early Yart to Yosemite, which would give me a better chance of getting in line early to get a first come first serve wilderness permit to get on the JMT. So I was looking for a long term (21 days) parking option in Mammoth. Or is there a late shuttle from Lone Pine that can get me to Mammoth?
drb1966

Postby drb1966 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:40 pm

I think I may have found my answer in catching the Lone Pine Express to the Mammoth Express.
drb1966

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park