Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Need help for Yosemite trip

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Need help for Yosemite trip

Postby Phil » Fri May 20, 2016 11:41 am

We all do what we have to in order to survive.

Places like the Valley are too full of people that have no idea how to respond to eye contact and something as simple as 'hi'. Seven day vacation- three winding down, one relaxing...if the kids behave and don't play in the dirt too much, three more winding back up and dreading going back to the "normal stuff".

My 9 year old daughter at the time, wearing a full pack, was violently shoved out of the doorway of a crowded shuttle by a very fat guy that obviously needed to get to Curry before she did. He must have needed a vacation from his vacation. A little more time off might have done him more good and helped his perspective. One big trip-o'- the-year is no substitute for a lot of smaller ones, IMO. We owe it to ourselves and the people around us to keep our priorities straight, but it seems we have a harder and harder time knowing how to do it and why it's important these days.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby D.D » Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 am

Hi!

The rule is clear! Only 14 nights in Yosemite! But i have made the plan to stay in Yosemite Valley 2 - 3 nights max, and 2 nights in Tuolumne Meadows. The other time it will be spent doing backpacking.

When i arrive i spend first 2-3 nights in Yosemite Valley to explore the aria, then i take the bus to Tuolumne Meadows and stay 1 night here and then go in backpacking. When i return i sleep the second night here and after i leave to Tenaya Lake aria and do as much time rangers let me do backpacking! When i finish my food or they through me out, i leave !!!

I will travel from the other part of the world to experience the wild of USA. I have made sacrifices years in a row to make the money that i need for this experience so...i plan to explore and enjoy as much as possible!

Thanks!
D.D

Postby D.D » Sat May 21, 2016 9:55 am

And i have forget to say this:

I travel in this beautiful places alone because people don't have the time for such stuff. And if they have the time and the money, they will spend them in Dubai or Singapore or maybe in Thailand, not a bad thing but...this run, with the check list or bucket list will not give to your soul the peace that you want and will not make you fill wild as you pretend to be!

I don't want to brake any rule...ok maybe one rule. The one with the time limit! This makes me a bad person?
D.D

Postby MadDiver » Sat May 21, 2016 10:47 am

D.D wrote:Hi!

Part 1 Backpacking: Tuolumne Meadows - Cathedral Peak - Vogelsang - Glen Aulin. For day hikes to Rafferty Creek - Lyell Canyon and what else you recommend. I think this aria with backpacking and day hikes can be made in 9-10 days ?

Then take the bus from Tuolumne Meadow and go to Tenaya Lake.

Part 2 Backpacking: Tenaya Lake - Sunrise Lakes - Clouds Rest - Little Yosemite Valley. I will use as base camp Little Yosemite Valley - Happy Isles aria as base to explore the aria and hike Half Dome. All of this can be made in 7-8 days ?

Cheers!

I wanted to give you some thoughts regarding the time it takes to get around some of the areas you wish to see. Take a look at this map from a trip I did last year 6 days/ 5 nights. I found this a fairly easy trip, generally late starts and early stops taking a ton of pictures on the way. I am not some super backpacker either, probably average. My point being you can cover a lot of ground in this area and still have plenty of time for your photography.

Each color represents one day of travel (ignore the brown colored Tioga road). The first day (purple) - TM (Tuolumne Meadows) to Glen Aulin was really short, only 2.5-3 hrs but I didn't start until 4 PM. You can also see how easy it would be to head to half dome, LYV or the Valley from Clouds Rest instead of circling back to TM. Changing the route is easy: Merced Lake to Vogelsang - 1 day. Vogelsang to TM - 1 day via Rafferty, maybe 2 via Lyell. I'm not suggesting my route, just trying to help you plan the logistics of the ambitious trip you are taking and give you a sense of time. The possible modifications are endless.

If you wish you can see my detailed report here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3459

MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby D.D » Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 am

Hi!

This trip have take me a lot of time to plan and the most important thing is to have a open itinerary.

I have read other topics including the one that helped MadDiver to do he's trip. And i have decided to take other places that i want to see and hikes in consideration. I will do my itinerary as i mentioned but if i get the photo that i want in a shorter time, i will go on other hikes to see other places as well. And i will add some lakes that will give the possibility to do astrophotography and time-laps (I need to find this lakes in good whether to not have movement on whater, to bee clear). Echo Lake, Matthes Lake.

MadDiver very useful your last advice, thanks a lot!

I want to say that this plan was much more different if you people didn't help me! I want to tanks a lot to Balzaccom and Phil for such a great help, Best advice on INTERNET!

Cheers!
D.D

Postby balzaccom » Mon May 23, 2016 9:47 am

Hope you have a great trip, DD!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking