Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite Valley To Mariposa Grove in Winter w/o a car?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite Valley To Mariposa Grove in Winter w/o a car?

Postby jayburkhardt » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:05 pm

I am traveling to Yosemite from San Francisco via Amtrak service in February with my wife for our honeymoon. We are staying in Yosemite Valley. We are planning on hiking the few open valley trails, skiing at Badger pass, etc.

I want to go xcountry skiing in the Mariposa Grove on one of our days in the park but am at a loss as to how to get there if we do not have a rental car.

Any ideas? Thanks!
jayburkhardt

Re: Yosemite Valley To Mariposa Grove in Winter w/o a car?

Postby dan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 am

Mariposa Grove is kind of low for cross-country skiing. It's like the valley. The snow, if any, is often patchy and icy, with lots of "postholes" from people walking.

That said, it's a beautiful place. But there's no shuttle from the Valley in Winter. In Summer, there's a tour bus that takes you there from the Valley.

You can try hitchhiking, but you could be waiting a long time. Visitors usually don't pick you up, but locals sometimes do. A couple looks a lot safer. But it's mighty cold and the days are short this time of year.

I suggest seeing the Valley more. A lot of people stay in Yosemite Valley, but don't get out and about on the Valley trails. Take the northside trail and southside trail, both run east-west along the north and south sides of the Valley. See Vernal and Nevada Falls, if the trails aren't too icy (take the John Muir or "pack" trail, not the Mist Trail, which is dangerous in winter).

Hike to the top of Yosemite Falls if you're energetic (allow the whole day). The Glacier Point Four Mile Trail is closed in winter and unsafe, due to ice.

If you're luck it will snow in the Valley. Ski in the Valley in the meadows right after a snow storm (or next day) before the snow melts too much and is walked on.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jayburkhardt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Also after reading a bit more, it might be quite a long day of human powered travel to get into the grove down the closed Grove Rd. Might be a bit much for us a we are somewhat novices at xcountry skiing and, as you said, the days are short.

Would you recommend bringing some type of light weight crampons? Like yaktrax or the instep crampons you see folks hiking with in winter in the Grand Canyon on some of the icier trails? Just a thought.

We are bringing gtx hiking boots and I was thinking of bringing one or two sets of trekking poles. Not sure if the poles are necessary but I have found them useful before in icy conditions.

I am glad to hear that it is possible to hike to the top of Yosemite Falls in Winter. That sounds like a good hike. I was afraid that there would be no trails open of any significant distance.

I am guessing we can rent snowshoes or skis in the valley?

Thanks again for any insights and tips.
jayburkhardt

Postby dan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm

No I wouldn't recommend instep crampons for the icy trails. They are useful out in wide-open areas, but the trails have pure ice (refrozen water) and there's not much wiggle room on the narrow trails in Little Yosemite Valley.

The ice treads (look like snow cables but for shoes, not cars) help for icy areas in the valley, but don't dig into the asphalt or rock. They are available at sporting goods stores and in the Mountain Shop in Yosemite Valley (or were last year).

Treking poles also help, and you can always collapse them and put them in your daypack if you don't need them.

We are bringing gtx hiking boots and I was thinking of bringing one or two sets of trekking poles. Not sure if the poles are necessary but I have found them useful before in icy conditions.

The good thing about the Yosemite Falls Trail is it gets a lot of sun, as it's a south-facing trail. That said, there are some icy spots. Many times it's relatively clear until you hit the Valley rim at the top, then it's less than a quarter mile to the Yosemite Falls overlook (a side trail that forks south from the main trail to the Yosemite Creek bridge.

Snowshoes and Skis are for rent in the Mountain Shop in the Valley, although things tend to change from year-to-year. Give them a call (call the main switchbord for Yosemite Concession Services in Yosemite Valley and ask for the Mountain Shop).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite