Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Valley to Tuolumne Meadows Hikers Bus

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Valley to Tuolumne Meadows Hikers Bus

Postby ErinJ86 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:25 am

Anyone have the inside scoop on when the hikers bus will be up and running? Originally the website said May 30th, now it says June 10th, and when I called the lady on the other line couldn't give me a date.
ErinJ86
Regular
Regular

Re: Valley to Tuolumne Meadows Hikers Bus

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Erin,

Yep, it's the 10th now. The YARTS bus between the Valley and Tuolumne only runs at 5pm, and it'll get you to the trailhead too late for you guys to make it up the hill before dark.

Here's a thought. You're leaving the 7th, right? Go ahead and park the car at the Sunrise trailhead for logistical purposes. By the time you exit the wilderness, the shuttles should be up and running, so just grab one back up to the car then.

Here's the shuttle dates as it currently stands:

http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to ... bus-tours/
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I remember now, your trail entry is on the 8th, and you were arriving in the park on the 7th and doing everything possible to get up to Sunrise to check out the crossing at Tenaya Creek ahead of time....right, Erin? And I know you weren't going to forget to bring lots of mosquito repellent and head nets either, because I also know you're already getting totally stoked and looking forward to a great trip in an incredible place. Very, very cool. I'm excited for you.

Even better, now the shuttle will be running only two days later instead of three.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ErinJ86 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:52 am

Thanks, Phil! You're so on top of it!

We're staying at North Pines on the 7th and heading to Sunrise Lakes on the 8th. I'm a little hesitant to rely on the hikers bus to get us back to the car on the 11th considering the date has already moved once this season. I don't have the schedule in front of me, but from what I remember seeing for last year's schedule the last bus picks up at Curry Village around 1:30pm, right? A second option would be to take YARTS back to the car if the hikers bus isn't running. We'd just have to stay at North Pines on the 11th as no one in my group will want to make the long drive back to LA that late. No big deal! Renting a car in Fresno has also been brought up so that we have a car at the start and one at the end.

But the hikers bus dropping us off at Tenaya was going to make things so much easier!! It can't always work out that way I suppose.

Thanks for the reminder on the mosquitoes. The repellent and head nets are packed. I'm intrigued by these mosquitoes. Being from Minnesota I've never encountered anything worse than what we've got here. They are considered the other state bird here.
ErinJ86
Regular
Regular

Postby ErinJ86 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:55 am

Oh and we have the GoPro ready to capture the creek crossing. Assuming we decide to make the crossing.
ErinJ86
Regular
Regular

Postby robow8 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 am

Looks like the hiker bus won't be free this year.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =9&t=14448
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:11 am

Hi again Erin,

I wish I had more info, but even Aramark doesn't have a daily schedule available yet. Service is scheduled to begin 06/10/16 though, dependent on conditions. They told me to call back on the 8th or 9th, but since you'll be in the Valley, maybe try to swing by the reception desk over at Curry Village Lodge and see if they have a printed schedule before those dates. For now, I would try to get an approximation from last year's schedule that I posted for you as a general guideline. It shouldn't be too far off, if not right on. That's the best we seem to have right now. That price of $14.50 one-way from highsierratopix might be right or not, but it is going to now become a fare instead of free. Aramark seems a little slow to ramp up. They better get it together. If/when you need to call, the best phone number is: 209-372-1240

The mosquitoes swarming you is the problem, not so much the biting, if you're using protection. I don't know how it compares to Minnesota, but it can get pretty freaky, and they definitely don't relent. Hence, the head nets that at least keep them out of your face and ears. It'll start about a minute after you get out of the car, all the way up the trail, in camp, all evening until it gets cold, rains, you build a smoky fire, stop exhaling CO2, or you seek refuge in your tent. Then you'll do it all again the next day, and the next, and the next....constant companions. It is the #1 topic of conversation for anyone you might meet on the trail this time of year...ask someone about water sources and they'll default to the mosquitoes automatically. Sorry, it's only the first week of June, and that's just the way it is.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:06 pm

One last thing, Erin...

I would really strongly suggest you park the car at the trailhead. As of your permit date, without 2 cars, you have no way up there to begin with unless you drop everyone with their gear, and they sit there for a couple-few hours and wait while someone drives back to the Valley and hitches a ride back up, hopefully. That 5pm YARTS shuttle won't be running on weekdays until July, so if worse comes to worst, when you exit at Happy Isles on the 11th (Saturday), or even the 12th (Sunday), you at least have that as an option if the hiker's bus start date gets delayed again, but you don't have it yet on the 8th. Work with what you've got. It's all you have right now. It's the pre-adventure.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bachus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm

FYI -- Per the travelyosemite website the new "start" date is now June 17 (was supposed to be today, 6/14)

I've given up hope of calling the number listed on the travelyosemite website to make a reservation as it only connects you with their general reservation call center. They have not been able to help after multiple times telling me to call back in a “few days” and the shuttle would be available to book over the phone. This afternoon the number the customer service rep gave me was for the Yosemite Mountaineering school which he said they’d be able to help with the hikers shuttle. Upon calling I spoke with a very nice lady (but could tell she was getting frustrated with all the calls she was receiving) that informed me they have nothing to do with the shuttle. She was able to give me another number for someone inside the park (no luck there either), but he was able to give me the number for the Tour Desk Kiosk (BINGO, well almost). The man that answered the phone was pretty short with me and explained that he had a line of 20+ people to help and had no time for me and that I should call the general reservation number (now this feels like an infinite loop).

I guess I’m going to have to take my chances once I get to the park and see if I can get a shuttle ticket or at this point I’m thinking a second car (ideas like this however won’t help the park traffic situation) left at the start and one at the finish for our through hike may be the best way to have full control of the situation knowing I need the shuttle to be running by mid next week (but will cost us 3-4 hours of extra car time).
Bachus

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:55 pm

The best, most accurate info I got from anyone was from the NPS visitor information number 209-372-0200. They've got to be pulling their hair out over all this, but they had more info than anyone I've spoken to at Aramark does. It's management screwing up, not the people answering the phones.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ErinJ86 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:19 pm

The hiker's bus still isn't running?!? I'm grateful I didn't rely on it for our trip.
ErinJ86
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking