Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Anyone hike Vernon Lake Loop-Hetch Hetchy?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Anyone hike Vernon Lake Loop-Hetch Hetchy?

Postby Snydman » Mon May 16, 2016 6:27 am

I have a reservation next week to do the loop at Hetch Hetchy. Has anyone like this yet this season? Looking to get some insight on conditions, stream crossings and snow pack ?

Thanks !
Snydman
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Anyone hike Vernon Lake Loop-Hetch Hetchy?

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 16, 2016 6:54 am

Worry about stream crossings on the higher part of the loop. Worry about mosquitoes. Snow if present will be consolidated and thin, crunchy in the morning, soft in the afternoon. Nights are trending to cold over the next couple of weeks - stormy weather coming through this week, some chance of snow showers and low night temps in the 20s in the higher elevations. Likely to be ice in trails in the morning. I will be taking microspikes, trekking poles, an extra layer and a nice warm sleeping setup, when we go out in a couple of weeks.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mpadilla » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:20 am

Hi, have a 4 day/3 night wilderness permit for Hetch-Hetchy (mid-June). Planning on doing the rancheria falls, vernon lake, laurel lake loop similar to you. May go clockwise to get the climb out of the way early. If I decide to go counter-clockwise, does the permit limit me on which direction I can go?
Thanks.
MP
mpadilla

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:38 am

Since you're hiking a loop, you can do it either direction.

I like going to Rancheria Falls first because that long steep climb out of HH with full packs isn't fun.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mpadilla » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Sounds good, I can get rid of one day's worth of food and since I'm carrying the bear vault with food for 3 hikers that's a big deal.
MP
mpadilla

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking