Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Visiting Yosemite for 5 days

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Visiting Yosemite for 5 days

Postby boltz » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:18 am

Hi guys,

I'm visiting Yosemite this year from August 12th-16th and have a few questions.

I've been using http://www.yosemitehikes.com/ and have found it very helpful.

At the moment, I'm staying in Fresno and will be driving up everyday for day hikes.

I'm doing this on my own so I wouldn't mind meeting up with like minded people.

At the moment, theses are the hikes I'm interested in:
- Half dome (I've already read other posts on here saying to choose a different trail due to the numbers; also depends if I can get a permit)
- Pohono (looks awesome! This is the one I'm most looking forward to)
- Upper Yosemite Falls

I haven't mentioned Mist as this will be done in the Half Dome trail and I haven't mentioned Four Mile as it appears it would be similar to Pohono as they both start/finish up at Glacier Point. Would you say this is true?

Here are my questions (keep in mind I'm from Australia):
Are bears an issue?
Any recommendations on how to do the Pohono Trail? It seems return transport is an issue.
Any recommended trails?
I've heard Cloud Rest is better than Half Dome. Is the walk interesting on the way, or is it all just about the summit?

Thanks!
boltz
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Visiting Yosemite for 5 days

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:53 am

I recommend staying in Oakhurst, Mariposa or El Portal. You will get really, really, really tired of driving from Fresno. I live in Fresno. It takes three hours to get all the way to the valley floor when there is significant traffic because RVs are many, and verrrrrrry slow....

Read the bear page on the Yosemite website and follow the rules. If you are asking if bears go after people, no, they do not. But they are a HUGE issue, because they literally do anything to get your food.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:40 am

Also, instead of hiking the Pohono from end to end, I would suggest doing the Four Mile Trail, then doing shorter hikes from Glacier Point Road to Dewey Point and Taft/Sentinel. It's a lot of trudging in forests in between the views on the Pohono. The Four Mile is superior, as it is views from top to bottom.

I have done the Pohono from tunnel view to Glacier Point, with friends who left a car at the other end, and haven't been back for a re-do -- it's hot, long, and too much of it is viewless. You can easily do both Sentinel/Taft and Dewey in a single day.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MadDiver » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 am

Hey boltz,

I recommend spending at least one day up in the Tuolumne Meadows area. Tons of great day hikes available: May Lake and Mount Hoffmann (one of the highest peaks in the park, go early to avoid afternoon tstorms), Glen Aulin, Lembert Dome, just scratching the surface.... You'll get views not possible from the valley area. Even the drive up the is fantastic most of the way! Visit the Tuolumne sequoia grove on the way home... Watch the weather, the High Country can be vastly different from the Valley, even in August pack a raincoat and a fleece just in case.

As for Clouds Rest, while it is possible to dayhike Clouds Rest it's a BIG day, ~14 miles roundtrip plus a couple thousand foot elevation gain from the North, and it's nearly 10,000 feet so altitude can be an issue. Nice views much of the way and the views from on top can't be beat. Not saying to do it, not saying not to....

Enjoy!
MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking