Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Questions/Suggestions-Virgin Yosemite Hiker

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Questions/Suggestions-Virgin Yosemite Hiker

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:29 pm

I don't. I have a stuff sack that contains a ziplock with toilet paper, another with used TP (freezer bags, more durable) and the trowel. It's usually in the side pocket of the pack, which sits at my feet in the tent or hangs from the end of the hammock.

It's poo, it's EVERYYYYYYYYWHERE in Yosemite, under rocks, in poorly dug shallow holes, usually with illegally semi-buried (or not) TP that gets blown around or dragged around by marmots (marmots LOVE our poo, the pit toilet on Whitney was removed mostly due to cost of cleaning it out via helicopter -- the marmots were always getting under it to eat poo).

Bears have knocked around our canisters but never bothered us.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:54 pm

The double-bag method works well. We use a 1qt zip-lock inside a 1 gal zip-lock. All our bathroom things; trowel, TP (in its own 1 qt bag), and used TP go in a small nylon stuff sack, mostly for convenience. It's usually in a side pocket of one of our packs, but we hang it on a low branch or just toss it off to the side when we're in camp and prepping our packs for nighttime. It doesn't have to go into your bear canister as long as the TP isn't scented. It's no big deal, but I would be lying if I said we never burn it on occasion though. As long as you're not burying it for animals to dig up and scatter. It might be biodegradable over time, but it doesn't break down as fast as you would think.

https://lnt.org/learn/principle-3
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 pm

AlmostThere wrote:It's poo, it's EVERYYYYYYYYWHERE in Yosemite, under rocks, in poorly dug shallow holes, usually with illegally semi-buried (or not) TP that gets blown around or dragged around by marmots (marmots LOVE our poo, the pit toilet on Whitney was removed mostly due to cost of cleaning it out via helicopter -- the marmots were always getting under it to eat poo).

Digging too shallow a cat hole, burying the TP....there's still nothing worse than when people think it's okay to just go a few steps off the trail and behind the first tree or rock they come to, and you can always tell when they have, because it absolutely stinks! They're lazy, and their respect for others is just as foul.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mebgardner » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:17 pm

YoseWeerjin wrote:Now for everyone's favorite topic...POO!

I bogarted an idea for a way to carry all the used TP by carrying a ziploc within a bigger ziploc (with some powdered bleach to mask the smell). I'm wondering, though, how everyone stores it while at camp...in the tent? ...in the vestibule? ...placed in a paper bag and lit on fire in front of Yogi's den?

Any thoughts?

What do you think of this fellow's idea of powdered bleach to "mask the smell"?

I'm thinking that, if that gets added, then it becomes an item for the bear can. It then has an interesting smell.
mebgardner
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking