Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Two one-night easy-medium-ish backpacking in August?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Two one-night easy-medium-ish backpacking in August?

Postby wahtaborned » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:56 am

Hi all,

First time poster, been reading some great stuff from Phil and others the last couple days and thought I'd craft my own post as I am overwhelmed by options!

My partner and I are arriving Sunday in very early August in Yosemite (from the north, from Reno) and have two-three days total in the park (I know, I know...) I have never been to Yosemite - but I am experienced backpacker with UL stuff and will carry most of the weight. She is not, but is in good shape. Can you recommend two 1 night trips that are a relatively easy hike from a trailhead/camping spot? Say, 3-4mi hike in at max with not-horrible elevations where we can camp? Potable water and perfect bathrooms are not necessary, we are not picky people and I will filter. It would be awesome if there was a bear box so I wouldnt have to rent (and shlep) a canister.

Alternatively, given our shortish time, is it better to head for a trailhead backpacker campsite both nights, and then do long day hikes to "see yosemite"? Would we experience better/more there? Lots of sites seemed to be booked up, but we can try to first-come-first-serve sites given that we are two people without anyhting to pack up, really.

Thanks for any recommendations, and especially on those to avoid the RV/1000 kids running around with speakers blasting kind of sites.
wahtaborned
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Two one-night easy-medium-ish backpacking in August?

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:37 pm

You don't get a permit without a canister. Unless your only night is in Little Yosemite Valley where each campsite has a locker -- you don't rely on the shared lockers in High Sierra Camps, or anywhere else, because they get full up with other people's stuff. People argue, but they fail, and they rent a canister.

If you show up midweek, you may be able to get something in Bridalveil, Tuolumne Meadows, or Hogdon or one of the other campgrounds as a walk in -- avoid the valley and you avoid most of the zoo. Get a campsite along Tioga Road and you can day hike to North Dome, the top of Mt Watkins, Clouds Rest, up the Tuolumne River in Lyell Canyon, up to Gaylor Lakes, over Mono/Parker Pass -- lots of possibilities with great scenery. Another way is to keep checking the reservations website for cancellations that open up sites, particularly in the last weeks before your trip.

Single night backpacking trips are many but you're going to run into people at all destinations one day from a trailhead, and there'll be competition. I would suggest an overnight near North Dome, and one to Ten Lakes Basin, if you are not going to day hike.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Why two separate 1 night hikes?

The 4-5 mile limit is going to be hard to do any wilderness hiking/camping.

There are some very nice and spectacular 2 nights hikes I can recommend:

Big Oak Flat to El Capitan, upper Yosemite Falls, North Dome, exit to the valley via Snow Creek. You can camp near the top of El Cap and North Dome for some great sunsets and sunrises from the top of those. You can also go up Yosemite Falls Trail and go to El Cap and double back to North Dome. More elevation gain, but the Yosemite Falls trail is spectacular.

Tulolumne Meadows to Cathedral/Sunrise Lakes, Clouds Rest and Half Dome (if able). Exit via the valley. Mostly downhill and Clouds Rest is a 360 degree view of almost the whole park. You can also do this from the valley and exit in the high country or loop back to the valley.

Grand Canyon of the Tulolumne River. Start at Tulolumne Meadows or White Wolf and go to the other end.

Since it's your first time in Yosemite, I'd recommend the first two. The last one is great, but not as spectacular as the first two which will give you a good taste of the valley sights without being in the crowded valley.

And unless you skip breakfast (i.e. bring all the food for the first day's hike/dinner and starve on the second day), you'll need a bear canister for everywhere except Little Yosemite Valley.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:30 am

Trip 1. Polly Dome Lakes from Murphy Creek.

Trip 2. Indian Canyon (Lehamite Creek) from Porcupine Flat.

But you don't need the second one. Your permit for the first hike allows you to spend one night before and one night after in a backpacking campground...

If I am understanding your question...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:10 am

WanderingJim wrote:
And unless you skip breakfast (i.e. bring all the food for the first day's hike/dinner and starve on the second day), you'll need a bear canister for everywhere except Little Yosemite Valley.

Nope. I have witnessed that argument in the wilderness office - you WILL be rented a canister even if all you have on the second day is trash.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:24 am

You need a canister. Bears go after trash. The bear lockers have been abused with caches and trash, unfortunately.

I recommend BearVault. BV450 is smaller than BV500. The BV450 holds 7.2 liters and weighs 2 lbs., 1 oz. There may be other suggestions out there.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:34 pm

AlmostThere wrote:
Nope. I have witnessed that argument in the wilderness office - you WILL be rented a canister even if all you have on the second day is trash.

Good point, I forgot about trash, but didn't really think he starve the 2nd day option was going to be a viable option anyway. :)
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Nope, you're not going to get away from the canister. With only a night or two, it might be bulky, but it won't weigh much, and it'll give you peace of mind in food storage and in being legal.

Balzaccom and WJ gave you a good suggestion with Porcupine Creek/North Dome/Snow Creek. The area above Snow Creek Falls gives you good sites and incredible views of HD, Cloud's Rest, Tenaya Canyon, and the back of the Valley. You can spend a couple nights there and day-hike Mt Watkins and North Dome or just one night and then go to the next overnighter:

WJ's suggestion for entry at White Wolf to Pate Valley and the GCT is also a good one, but I would shorten that for your time and distance purposes to just going down to the benches at Morrison Creek. If you have a topo, you'll see the area shown as a very distinct knob to the left of the trail down along the cliffs just where the creek first intersects the trail near the top. Plenty of water, one site tucked back in the trees next to the creek, and a series of functionally sized benches over the rise that afford privacy and incredible views down the length of Hetch Hetchy. Via Harden Lake, maybe about 5+ miles out from the campground. Easy walk down, and not too bad a climb back out the same way.

Am I right in assuming that what you're trying to do is gently introduce your girlfriend to backpacking without her hating you afterwards and never wanting to do it again? Been there, done that.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking