Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Need some clarification (1st timer)

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Need some clarification (1st timer)

Postby Barnacle » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:34 am

We are planning on visiting Yosemite at the end of July/Beginning of August. Party of 2 and possibly 4. We did not secure backcountry permit reservations because we are planning this trip so late. Therefore, it appears that our best bet will be first come, first served permits. Ideally we could spend some time in the high sierras and hike down toward the valley. I think it would be best for us to start in TM.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Once you obtain a backcountry permit, what areas are you confined to hiking and camping in? For instance, if we obtained a permit for the Glen Aulin trailhead out of TM, would we be confined to hike and camp in one area, and not in others? I understand that they limit permit numbers for certain trailheads, and I assume they do this for a reason. So, if we wanted to follow this route: http://www.norcalhiker.com/backpacking-tuolumne-meadows-to-yosemite-valley/, would we have to start at Glen Aulin, like they did? Or, could we start somewhere else out of TM, and work our way over?

2) My friend has suggested obtaining a permit for a trailhead outside the park and hiking into the park. His understanding is that once inside the park "we could go wherever we want." Because of the limits of permits, I'm skeptical of that advice. I did speak with a park ranger on the phone this morning, and he told me that once we were in we could go "anywhere in the wilderness." I want to make sure we have a good understanding of how this works.

3) I understand that you are limited to the designated campsites in the five high sierra camps. If solitude is what we are looking for, are these recommended?

We still aren't exactly sure of what we want out of the trip, where exactly we would like to be, or how many days we will have, so I'm trying to get a general understanding of what options we have.

Thanks in advance!
Barnacle

Re: Need some clarification (1st timer)

Postby MadDiver » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:23 pm

First, your two best friends: Trailheads full list: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf and the Trailheads map: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf

1) Read the regs on the Yosemite site and the info on the trailheads map, but essentially once you have a wilderness permit you can go anywhere - after camping the first night at (or beyond) the proper location as shown on the trailheads map. You cannot walk along a road. You may cross a road. You cannot backtrack from one trailhead to another. The trip you linked to would be OK, there are many other ways to do it also (pick nearly any trailhead near TM and you can work it down to the Valley).

2) "Anywhere in the wilderness" correct. Wilderness boundaries are shown on (good) maps. Don't walk down a road, don't go stop in the TM grill for lunch :)

3) Sort of a designated area not sites at the HSCs, but yes. After that you're supposed to be I think a mile or so farther away, my maps has shading for where you are allowed/not allowed... Solitude? The HSCs are among the most popular locations in the backcounty and you're going at the busiest time, so no. Down by LYV and Half Dome it will be very busy.

Another consideration this year is the hiker's shuttle between the Valley and TM. The schedule sucks, there are several threads here about it. If you and you're friend(s) will have two cars not an issue.

I imagine the local experts here will recommend altering your plans to a less congested part of the park. You're probably going to need to be flexible if you go for a walkup permit, so plan a couple trips from different trailheads.

Good luck!
MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Barnacle » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Thank you! You answered all my questions. Its a lot more clear now.

As far as "less congested" areas of the park go. Any recommendations for early August?
Barnacle

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Barnacle wrote:As far as "less congested" areas of the park go. Any recommendations for early August?

That would unfortunately be anywhere but points radiating out from any of the HSCs, Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne Meadows, and the JMT. Lot's of crowds in late July- early August just about everywhere. Midweek tends to be lighter in terms of crowds and increasing your chances of getting walk-up permits, but still, tis the season. If the best bet for solitude is what you're after, consider the north end of the park, maybe Ten Lakes, Red Peak and the surrounding areas of the Pacific Crest...think outside the core areas with the most popular and "easiest" trails. Really though, if Yosemite is where you want to go, and you're comfortable with it, you'll always be best served by heading out cross-country to more remote destinations. That expands your options exponentially.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 pm

MadDiver wrote:I imagine the local experts here will recommend altering your plans to a less congested part of the park.

You got that right.

Remember, you're never really lost until you run out of food and water.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking