Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

north rim trip tips

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

north rim trip tips

Postby damu21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:31 pm

I am planning on doing a 3-4 day backpacking trip along the north rim of Yosemite valley the end of september, this being my first ever time doing any sort of backpacking. I plan to hike to north dome day 1 and sleep up there for the night. The next day head west to yosmite falls, and then the next day towards el capitan. it looks like 4 days may be too long for this. are there cool day hikes if I set up camp at Yosemite falls or el capitan, set up camp, and go explore some? or should I add a few stops to my overall backing trip?
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: north rim trip tips

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:28 pm

First night it is probably best to camp at the Lehamite Creek crossing, about a mile from North Dome. NO water on North Dome, obviously. And that may be a problem across the board in September. Snow is melting very quickly this year, and Yosemite Falls may be dry by then.

But if you have an extra day in Yosemite, there are certainly a few day hikes and adventures you could explore that would be wonderful. It's a great time of the year for Tuolumne Meadows; Gaylor Lakes, Lembert or Pothole Dome, etc.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:41 pm

balzaccom wrote:First night it is probably best to camp at the Lehamite Creek crossing, about a mile from North Dome. NO water on North Dome, obviously. And that may be a problem across the board in September. Snow is melting very quickly this year, and Yosemite Falls may be dry by then.

But if you have an extra day in Yosemite, there are certainly a few day hikes and adventures you could explore that would be wonderful. It's a great time of the year for Tuolumne Meadows; Gaylor Lakes, Lembert or Pothole Dome, etc.

is there a shuttle that would take me up to Tuolmne Meadows? maybe I could start there and work my way down to north dome?
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:56 pm

The shuttle schedules change or end in September. Check YARTS for their scaled back schedule which begins on Sept 30th. The hiker's shuttle service ends entirely on Sept 20th. If you can get up there, Porcupine Creek would be your first choice of entries and Yosemite Creek would be your second.

http://yarts.com/routes-schedules/

From your itinerary, it sounds like you're planning your entry on the Snow Creek trail. That's the steepest climb out of the Valley there is, 2.6 miles of relentless climbing, and it's hot and dry. I wouldn't recommend that ascent as the way to begin your very first backpacking trip, and most people that know it wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:08 pm

Phil wrote:The shuttle schedules change or end in September. Check YARTS for their scaled back schedule which begins on Sept 30th. The hiker's shuttle service ends entirely on Sept 20th. If you can get up there, Porcupine Creek would be your first choice of entries and Yosemite Creek would be your second.

http://yarts.com/routes-schedules/

From your itinerary, it sounds like you're planning your entry on the Snow Creek trail. That's the steepest climb out of the Valley there is, 2.6 miles of relentless climbing, and it's hot and dry. I wouldn't recommend that ascent as the way to begin your very first backpacking trip, and most people that know it wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all.

Well I just submitted my permit request to spend my first night at north dome and exit from el cap. How's the hike up to north dome? Maybe I'll just follow that route and do some side trails along the way.
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:51 pm

What entry and exit trailheads did your use for you application? Hike up from where exactly? What side trails would you maybe be interested in? I'm sorry, but not knowing you more than as being a first time backpacker, while I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I can't help but wonder if you're getting ahead of yourself in realistically planning for your abilities and experience level. Running headlong into destiny will only take you so far.

You can't exit from El Cap. The closest would be the Yosemite Falls Trail. North Dome is great and all, but you have to get there first.

Unless you're dropping down into the area from Tioga Rd, suffice it to say, the routes up are long, steep, arduous, dry, and hot.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:35 pm

I probably am getting ahead of myself. I was thinking of entering somewhere from the valley and doing a couple day long loop. I'm not familiar enough with the park to know which trails I'd do. It's going to be a learning experience for sure.
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:36 pm

And it sounds like I will be submitting a new permit application soon
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Phil wrote:What entry and exit trailheads did your use for you application? Hike up from where exactly? What side trails would you maybe be interested in? I'm sorry, but not knowing you more than as being a first time backpacker, while I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I can't help but wonder if you're getting ahead of yourself in realistically planning for your abilities and experience level. Running headlong into destiny will only take you so far.

You can't exit from El Cap. The closest would be the Yosemite Falls Trail. North Dome is great and all, but you have to get there first.

Unless you're dropping down into the area from Tioga Rd, suffice it to say, the routes up are long, steep, arduous, dry, and hot.

I'm in good shape, decently smart, and also pretty nervous, so I don't think I will get myself into trouble. I am trying to find a somewhat easy route with cool views.
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:21 pm

If you are looking for a somewhat easy route, do this trip from the Porcupine Flat trailhead. It saves you about 3,000 feet of climbing up and then climbing down.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:32 pm

balzaccom wrote:If you are looking for a somewhat easy route, do this trip from the Porcupine Flat trailhead. It saves you about 3,000 feet of climbing up and then climbing down.

That link took me to just the homepage..
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking