Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Tuolumne Meadows

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Tuolumne Meadows

Postby mattytreks » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Will be staying in the June Lake area the first week of August, and am planning on utilizing YARTS so I can get in a nice point-to-point hike.

Has anyone here made the hike from Silver Lake to Tuolumne Meadows via Rush Creek Trail/JMT, or vice-versa? Regardless of which direction I go, I'd be starting early and taking YARTS either to/from Tuolumne Meadows.

Thanks all!
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
mattytreks

Re: Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Tuolumne Meadows

Postby mattytreks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:20 am

Anyone?
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
mattytreks

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:58 am

What do you want to know? South from Tuolumne to the Silver Lake campground is the easier direction, but you might get shut out by the Dononhue exit quota if you're relying on a walk-up JMT permit.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Yep. I'd do this South to North for exactly that reason. And if you've never seen Garnet and Thousand Island Lakes, I'd add a day to wander those.

Day one to Waugh Lake. Day two to explore southwards. Day three over Donahue, Day four out Lyell Canyon
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mattytreks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:58 pm

balzaccom wrote:Yep. I'd do this South to North for exactly that reason. And if you've never seen Garnet and Thousand Island Lakes, I'd add a day to wander those.

Day one to Waugh Lake. Day two to explore southwards. Day three over Donahue, Day four out Lyell Canyon

Thanks for the tips!

So, a little about my trip: I'll staying at a cabin at the June Lake Loop. I am a very well-conditioned hiker and am planning day hikes from the Rush Creek Trailhead.

As I have completed 20+ mile day hikes in the past (at roughly 2.5 mph pace), is it reasonable for me to assume I can make it from Rush Creek to Tuolumne Meadows in a single, long day trip? My plan is to take the shuttle back from Tuolumne back to June Lake area. I'm also equally interested in hiking Rush Creek to Agnew Meadows (in either direction), whereas this trip seems MUCH more...reasonable in distance, shall we say :)

In making the trek south from Rush Creek to Agnew, I see there are three possible routes I can take south: JMT, Shadow Creek Trail (looks to follow the San Joaquin River?), and PCT. Is one of these segments considered more scenic or desirable than the others?

Thanks!
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
mattytreks

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:40 pm

I don't understand why you would want to rush through such a scenic area in a day. To answer your question though: Agnew Pass>PCT>Thousand Island Lake. Your route is over 20 miles, and 2.5 mph is fine if you're good with the altitude, which will hit over 11k ft in a couple places, not to mention the heat and how you deal with it. And unless you live at altitudes like that, who can say how any one particular day is going to be where how you handle it might be good, might not? Add to that the consideration that it's not unlikely that you're going to get into some afternoon thunderstorms and not only need more gear than what a day pack might hold, but may need to hunker down for safety, I wouldn't bet my life on making that hike in a day, especially going south to north. You get in far enough, and you have nowhere to bail out unless you're carrying it.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mattytreks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 pm

Phil wrote:I don't understand why you would want to rush through such a scenic area in a day. To answer your question though: Agnew Pass>PCT>Thousand Island Lake. Your route is over 20 miles, and 2.5 mph is fine if you're good with the altitude, which will hit over 11k ft in a couple places, not to mention the heat and how you deal with it. And unless you live at altitudes like that, who can say how any one particular day is going to be where how you handle it might be good, might not? Add to that the consideration that it's not unlikely that you're going to get into some afternoon thunderstorms and not only need more gear than what a day pack might hold, but may need to hunker down for safety, I wouldn't bet my life on making that hike in a day, especially going south to north. You get in far enough, and you have nowhere to bail out unless you're carrying it.

This is valuable information and I appreciate your response...this is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.

And you if you want to understand, simply ask and I'll tell :)

I have never backpacked overnight, anywhere. I'm a dayhiker by preference, for a number of reasons -- primarily because I like to pack light, hike fast, and be rewarded with a hard day's hike by sleeping in a bed. It certainly doesn't mean I don't or can't appreciate my time in the wilderness.

Having said that, weather and altitude are certainly factors I will keep into close consideration.

I may just explore more reasonably distanced locations out of Rush Creek, then just drive up to Tuolumne another day and make that my home base, and the same with Agnew Meadows.

There is a TON of trail between Tuolumne and Agnew...anyone have some absolute favorite spots in terms of peace, quiet, or beauty?
Matty
mattytreks@gmail.com
mattytreks

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:53 pm

mattytreks wrote:And you if you want to understand, simply ask and I'll tell

My kind of woman. :D

For solitude, maybe Marie Lakes, but it's pretty exposed.

For an idea of what an overnight is all about, in a beautiful location, in a place where you're going to probably have plenty of people around in case you run into trouble (very unlikely unless you need help with your stove or something), in a land not too far, far away, Balzaccom's suggestion of either Thousand Island Lake or Garnet Lake would be almost ideal.

From the Tuolumne side, Ireland Creek along the Lyell Fork is one of my favorites.

Altitude and weather may be bigger factors than you might think, even if you're only day hiking. Don't underestimate either one or both.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby elton » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:51 am

silver lake to clark lakes/agnew pass is the hardest part- lots of sun and a two hour hump up some scree before the pass but worth it. the pass is at 10k and at that point your up. You can make it to thousand island lake from silver lake on the first day although last year we stopped and made camp at clark and moved on to thousand island in the morning. the rest of the pct out to toloume is easy . especially after the Ireland creek fork .
elton
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking