Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking trip advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking trip advice

Postby PaGuy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Hello, We recently scored 4 nearly last minute permits for Half Dome. So here we go to Yosemite at the end of August. Going to be there a week and we want to fit in a 2 or 3 day trip. Lot of trails! Lot of choices! I need help planning one rather than guessing. I'd personally would like to get up in the higher elevations but that not necessary, maybe 10,000? Here's what I have to work with, 2-3 days, I think a loop so we won't have to worry about shuttle, permits for available trail heads, seems like there are plenty still for the unpopular trail heads according to the full trail head pdf. Nothing overly strenuous due to the elevation, we're fairly strong backpackers. Looking for great scenery with plenty of water. Getting away from the crowds. Where do I start?

Thank you
PaGuy
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Backpacking trip advice

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:54 am

Well, with a map. If you don't have one check out something like CalTopo.

Or, leave plenty of room in your packs for a bear canister that you'll rent, pack everything, show up and grab a permit, then buy a map for your route. Play roulette.

Getting away from crowds? GOOD LUCK. It's Yosemite. 98% of everyone there, you'll leave them behind once you're five hours walking from the trailhead. Trails will still be more crowded than elsewhere, but you'll be fine, have a good time. Don't forget the water treatment method and to pay close attention to the food storage rules.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Backpacking trip advice

Postby balzaccom » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:39 am

Most of the people who backpack in Yosemite are looking for a 2-3 day loop with great views, lovely lakes, and lots of solitude.

There are a lot of trails in Yosemite, but not THAT many.

Your choices are to give up one or more of those criteria...or head off trail for solitude.

If you give up solitude, then it's easy:. Young Lakes, Cathedral Lakes, Ten Lakes, Sunrise Lakes....

If you give up lakes:. Lyell Canyon and Raffert Creek, Glacier Point/Illilouette Canyon/Happy isles, Porcupine Creek to Northe Dome//Lehamite Creek. Want to climb? Yosemite Falls to Snow Creek...a real marathon

Want to give up the trail and get lost? Now you'll have to find your own route on the map...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking