Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Official 2016 Tuolumne Hiker's Shuttle Schedule (READ THIS!)

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Official 2016 Tuolumne Hiker's Shuttle Schedule (READ TH

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:20 pm

No reservations. Show up in front of the Valley Visitors Center or in front of the Lodge at the Falls, tell the driver your destination, pay him, load your gear, go. Don't be late. One-way is only $9 per adult to TM. I gotta say it; it's easy, Peasy.

Here's the schedule and info:

http://yarts.com/routes-schedules/
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby davenport » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:42 am

Hi, I'm planning on taking the shuttle this coming Sunday morning (8/14). Has anyone taken it recently? Is it a nightmare? If I'm there at 7-7:30 will I be fine getting a seat?

Thanks!
davenport

Postby Peasy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:20 am

We were there at the Visitor July 25th and there were two hikers waiting for the TM bus at 8:00am asking around if anyone knew anything about it. They looked like they had been waiting awhile. We were waiting for a basic shuttle to El Cap/Half Dome village, two went by that were so full we couldn't squeeze onto them. We decided to walk - when we left at 8:35am the two hikers were still sitting there waiting for the TM bus. I sure hope they found their way.

If you do take it, would you mind posting your experience please? We are going to need to take this same bus later next week. Thankya!
Peasy
Regular
Regular

Postby Peasy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:25 pm

For anyone curious, it took some perseverance, but I was able to pre-reserve the 8:00am hiker's bus from the Valley to TM. The first person I talked to said to definitely reserve it, as she had seen people be turned away without reservations because it was too full. She gave me the number to obtain reservations. The person that answered said that they didn't take reservations for the hiker's bus, that we should just "show up". I explained that I wasn't talking about the YART bus, I was looking for the 8am hiker's bus to TM. He put me on hold and then transferred me to a woman who told me that she was only dispatch and that I needed to call 209-372-1240, which was the number that had just transferred me over to her :roll:

Fortunately, the second time I tried that number I got ahold of woman who knew exactly what I was talking about and was able to make us reservations for next week. She said we just need to be there at the HM Village registration/bus stop before 7:30am the day of (or the day before if we exit Happy Isles early enough in the day) to pick up our physical tickets. Phew!

I was wondering if people are still able to purchase $5 showers in Half Dome Village but I'm afraid if I call, I may not get up to date/solid information. We will show up and hope for the best. Worst case scenario is that we have a long stinky bus ride and drive home.
Peasy
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Oh God, more stuff to have to reserve. Thanks for the info though.

We have never, ever paid $5 for showers at Curry Village, nor have we ever been stopped from using them for not paying. Always just assumed that was the cost if you wanted to rent a towel.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Peasy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:46 am

Thank you Phil! That puts my mind at ease. I don't mind paying, just wanted to make sure they are still available to the public. Thanks again.
Peasy
Regular
Regular

Postby davenport » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:33 am

We took the shuttle this past Sunday morning. We didn't have reservations, but had no problem getting a spot. The guy said it does fill up sometimes. Tickets are at the tour kiosk right next to Half Dome Village registration/front office, and the bus leaves from the shuttle stop right there (13b i think it was) just a couple minutes after 8.
davenport

Postby Peasy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:45 am

Thank you, Davenport. I hope you had a wonderful hike?
Peasy
Regular
Regular

Postby davenport » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:38 pm

You're welcome.

We had a spectacular 3 day hike back down to the Valley from Tuolumne Meadows Lodge with stays at Vogelsang and Merced Lake HSCs.
davenport

Postby Peasy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Our experience on Monday, August 22nd:

Driving around Yosemite - my husband likens me to Sylvester in that cartoon when martians take him and Porky Pig into space - I turn white and clutch the seat with my claws the entire time we are driving around cliffs. The Hiker's Tour Bus was so smooth, and our driver Jane had so much experience and such a soothing voice - I actually fell asleep on the way up to Tuolumne. That has never happened in my life! Unfortunately, she said she is retiring at the end of the season/in a couple of weeks. They do accept tips and I felt awful that I was out of cash. She was an incredible tour guide.

The staff around the Valley is still unclear as to the Yart vs. the Tour Bus process. They were telling some people to buy tickets and others to just pay the driver.

The tour bus driver will require you to have a ticket if you are anywhere near the tour kiosk in the Valley. Be there at 13B a bit before 8:00am, with your ticket in hand. If you are waving the tour bus down along the road or at a trailhead - they can take cash but need exact change.

Our bus was almost full near the end of the trip. I would highly recommend making reservations if you have a large group.

Thank you so much for the campsite recommendations near Cloud's Rest Phil! We had a bit of bear excitement around 10pm. A momma and her cubs got some late hikers really excited coming down the path. We did pay $5 for the showers at Curry but it was because none of us had towels.

We had an incredible hike. It was my friends first time to Yosemite and although he found the hike difficult, he seemed to enjoy it. The icing on the cake was the incredibly comfortably, informational, and smooth tour bus ride back to our vehicle.

They need to cut back on trailhead/camping/vehicle quotas more or add some parking up at Tuolumne. We have struggled to find a spot every time. When on the shuttle to the Cathedral trailhead, I heard the driver tell one of the Rangers that shuttles were not in the "Tuolumne future plans" and are scheduled to be cut out altogether. He said that they almost cut them this year but made a last minute decision to keep them. It is definitely time for the public to speak up.

By the way, we were checked for our permit 3 times in 3 days. The Rangers seemed tired but I suppose it is the end of the season...
Peasy
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking