Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Any Alternatives to Valley -> Tuolumne Hikers Bus?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Any Alternatives to Valley -> Tuolumne Hikers Bus?

Postby joelin02 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Everyone
So a few weeks before the Yosemite Valley -> Tuolumne Meadows Hikers bus schedule was finalized, I booked campsites in the valley for mid-September (I have to do them 4 months early or else the spots are always gone) since the description on the NPS site said the buses would run through late September.

Now the schedule is out and the bus ends on September 11: http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to ... bus-tours/

I already paid for my campgrounds and my plans to use the bus are foiled.

Is there an alternative? I want to do a 1 way hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley and I was counting on the buses to run.
joelin02

Re: Any Alternatives to Valley -> Tuolumne Hikers Bus?

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:55 am

hitchhike, or use YARTS by adjusting your schedule. Or hike both ways.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:37 am

YARTS is only going to be running on weekends starting in Sept, and that's only Valley>Tuolumne at 5pm.

On behalf of others in the future, be sure to call or email the NPS administrative offices and complain loudly. You're definitely not alone in being screwed over by this year's shuttle schedules in some way or another, so add your two cents.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby joelin02 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:01 pm

Was the shuttle schedule longer in the past (until late September)?

I called NPS Yosemite staff and explained the situation. They will communicate my concerns to their supervisor.

It's a shame Uber doesn't run there otherwise I would have considered them as an option.

In a crowded park, Uber should be more readily available.
joelin02

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:08 pm

Yep. Ran earlier in the season, later in the season, multiple times per day, and it was free. That was DNCY, and they had 15 years to get it right. Now it's Aramark, and they just took over the concessionaire's contract in March.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking