Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

secret shortcut from the base of medlicott to cathedral?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

secret shortcut from the base of medlicott to cathedral?

Postby ctfshjohn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:50 am

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... mite_Hikes

has anyone done this?

in addition,

the approach to the top of medlicott looks to be hike-able from the southeast side?

thank you
ctfshjohn
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: secret shortcut from the base of medlicott to cathedral?

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 am

You can pick your way up the north side of the drainage of Lower Cathedral Lake between the north side of Pywiack and south of Medlicott pretty easily. Once you get up higher, the terrain is a bit brushy in a few areas, but it's generally open and gentle all the way up to the lakes.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: secret shortcut from the base of medlicott to cathedral?

Postby Steve_C » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:35 am

Yes, I have gone that way a few times. ...but then I made that Yosemite shortcut post. The route does get a bit steep -- you're climbing 800 vertical in about a mile, and some of it is steeper than the rest.

But hiking out, it takes 45 minutes to get down to the road.

Regarding Medlicott, you can easily walk to the top of the dome from Lower Cathedral Lake. I took my kids there when the youngest was 8.
Steve_C
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking