Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

North Dome / Clouds Rest Water Sources

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

North Dome / Clouds Rest Water Sources

Postby poorbadger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Hey All.

Beginning to mid-September, what's the expectation for water around North Dome, Indian Rock, and Clouds Rest?

Should I expect to be able to fill up from Snow Creek and the creek 1/2 way-ish between Clouds Rest and Sunrise (unnamed on the maps I have). Anywhere else?

Thanks!

John
poorbadger

Re: North Dome / Clouds Rest Water Sources

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:58 pm

You might have water in Porcupine Creek, for sure Snow Creek, very high likelihood of Royal Arch Creek (both above North Dome and below), and almost certainly, Lehamite Creek.

I've never see that creek between the Sunrise junction and Cloud's Rest go dry, ever. Although, right before that to the north is a trailside pond on the right. With the creek, of the three fingers, the one closest to CR will usually have the best flow.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby poorbadger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Thank you, Phil. That is extremely helpful!

John
poorbadger

Postby damu21 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:48 am

is Yosemite creek that flows from tioga down towards the valley to Yosemite falls going to have any water? I know the falls are dried up. if not where would I get water from Yosemite creek down to el cap?
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:44 pm

The latest on water source conditions:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

Camping in the area (south and east) of the footbridge on Snow Creek is again also now restricted because of bear activity. Wherever you go, make sure your canisters aren't vulnerable to being rolled off cliffs.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:31 pm

ah that's the link I was looking for! thank you. looks like I will not do a night snow creek, then
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking