Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Night Hike of Panorama or Four Mile to Glacier Point

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Night Hike of Panorama or Four Mile to Glacier Point

Postby RLHamm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:28 am

I am planning a trip for 4 people for 9/19-9/23 and we are staying at Upper Pines Campground.

We would like to be at Glacier point for a sunrise or sunset. Is it possible to hike at night to or from Upper Pines to Glacier Point via Four Mile or Panorama? Are the trails easy to follow? Would you recommend one over the other? Would you recommend NOT hiking at night?

I know it is possible to drive there and have a much shorter hike. We are all in very good shape and want to do more hiking than driving to see Yosemite.

Thank you for any advise.
RLHamm
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Night Hike of Panorama or Four Mile to Glacier Point

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:05 am

Sure you can - the trails are pretty well maintained and clear.

You're gonna want layered clothing, it'll be nice and cold. The breeze up high will put a chill on you - a windbreaker or rain jacket will help.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Night Hike of Panorama or Four Mile to Glacier Point

Postby weendoggy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:30 am

My preference is the Mist to Panorama trail because of your location to the Mist trail being right there. Either way, you need to be at Glacier Point prior to that happening if you want good pictures or views. Yes, it's wet (can be if runoff is high, but early morning the river is down) and I'd allow 4 - 5 hours to hike and be ready for the view. You can always come back the opposite trail, but my reasoning is just the views. Early hike will have a lot less traffic, especially on the Mist trail. I just love hiking along the sound of water.

As AT says, layer up, going either time.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking