Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Noob: Happy Isles Loop

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Noob: Happy Isles Loop

Postby Caminante » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 am

Not having much success getting past a busy signal to the permit office, but if I'm reading the trailhead info correctly, LYV->Merced/Sunrise is full, anyway. I'm going to keep trying to get through and worst case ask when we get there, but I'm guessing we're shacking at LYV the first night and will plan accordingly.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf
Caminante
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:08 pm

Yeah, the bark beetle damage is far more pronounced than all the fire damage from the Rim Fire, etc. It's sad to see.

AT, do they even bother to read you the permit regs anymore? It is always interesting to hear the spiel and other people's reaction to it though, but with us, they just ask "Remember your LNTs ?...sign". With my giant custom Bearikade, I bet I'm the only person now, or in history, that has no model of a bear can of record listed in their personal info, and that just states instead: "The biggest approved canister I've ever seen." No kidding. The last time I was in, it had to be about the funniest thing I've ever heard come out of a ranger's mouth....except maybe, "Damnit, I didn't get any sleep last night because I was chasing that bear around, and I don't appreciate you leaving Oreos on the picnic table."

If boxes get it done, so be it. I wish they would stick a couple up at Snow Creek as well as other wilderness problem areas and quit playing games with off-and-on camping closures. Maybe even save us all a few pounds in the process.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Caminante wrote:Not having much success getting past a busy signal to the permit office, but if I'm reading the trailhead info correctly, LYV->Merced/Sunrise is full, anyway. I'm going to keep trying to get through and worst case ask when we get there, but I'm guessing we're shacking at LYV the first night and will plan accordingly.

That's pretty standard for the phones. The full trailheads report does show it as fully impacted, but I wouldn't give up the idea. If you get into the Valley Wilderness Center when they open at 8am the day of, 40% odds are not a bad bet (day-traders can get rich with that number), and if you're there a day early, after 11am is when permits open up for the following day. But even if LYV is your destiny, it's not like you wasted miles getting no closer to where you want to be...you just have an apartment without walls, and 100 other people to help you chase the bears away.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Caminante » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:09 pm

I like the cut of your jib, Phil.
Caminante
Regular
Regular

Postby Caminante » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Thank you for the input, everyone, we had a great trip. We did cut out the CR portion due to a forecast in the teens and snow which we hadn't really packed for (that's on us), but we were still blown away by Yosemite and the route you recommended. We changed to a pass-through permit and camped our first night in the small valley opposite Bunnell Pt before a couple of footbridges which was a beautiful spot. The next day we hiked up Echo Creek and turned back towards the JMT and LYV. Everything worked out great. I was a little embarrassed at the state of LYV as left by my fellow "backpackers" (partypackers?), but other than that nothing was really a blemish on the hike.

Hope to come back relatively soon (only took me 46 years to get there the first time), hopefully earlier in the season and perhaps do more of a "through hike" from Tuolumne to the valley.

Thanks again.
Caminante
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:10 am

Glad to have been of service. Sounds like you made a good call on skipping CR with the forecast what it was. Not everyone has the wisdom to do that, and they would pay.

Did you guys go all the way up Echo Creek and over to Sunrise HSC to reach the JMT, or did you cut up the hill at Echo Valley? If the former, I love that area. It's one of the trails that should and could be such a nice part of an extended loop, but doesn't see that much traffic, and people primarily use it as a shortcut over to Merced Lake, but don't give it the credit I think it deserves.

LYV is the ONLY place I've ever had gear stolen in YNP.

Come back a little sooner next time. There's so much more and better to be had.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Caminante » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 am

Hi Phil,

We cut up the hill at Echo Valley. Really enjoyed walking across the granite and seeing all of the grand vistas which is not something we often get in the east, but also walking through the big trees in the forested parts. Dupont State Forest in NC is about the only place I can think of.

We'll definitely be back.
Caminante
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking