Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Campfires

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Campfires

Postby Soonernation » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:27 am

So the ranger told us we could build a fire if we wanted below a certain elevation as long as we used a "Ranger Maintained" fire ring. The picture below shows the fire ring, of which there were several, located in the area we were camping near Sunrise creek. How can you tell ranger approved from non-ranger approved?

Soonernation
Regular
Regular

Re: Campfires

Postby balzaccom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:43 am

The rangers in Yosemite (and other national parks) are in the process of destroying many of the "creative" fire rings that backpackers have built throughout the park. Seems like every time I hike there I see more of these rings.

But if you are in an established camping area in the backcountry, and there is a fire ring that is clearly operational, that's what they mean.

If the fire ring has been damaged or destroyed (often by stacking the stones on top of each other so that the ring in no longer functional) then please do not try to re-build or re-establish that fire ring.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Campfires

Postby Phil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:53 am

Sometimes it's hard to tell, because different people build different quality fire rings (most have no clue). That one is "ranger-maintained" or "approved". It's smaller, generally well-built and established, surrounded by seating and cleared of vegetation, at the right altitude, in an area that's well-traveled and used, and regularly patrolled. They'll miss a few, but not if they catch them. If they're not legal or legit, they get kicked down pretty fast. Usually at least annually. It's sort of an early season crusade for them. Aside from those criteria, I guess that the best way to tell is if it makes sense and will serve the needs of many and not just one, it's good.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking