Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking from Quartz Mountain Trailhead to Wawona

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking from Quartz Mountain Trailhead to Wawona

Postby SnowdoniaWales » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Has anyone hiked/backpacked from Quartz Mountain trailhead to Wawona through Chilnualna Falls?
SnowdoniaWales

Re: Hiking from Quartz Mountain Trailhead to Wawona

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Sure.

It means you have to rent a bear can from somewhere other than the park, of course, and you can't take a dog with you. And someone has to pick you up and drive you for an hour and a half on variably-paved and unpaved roads, to get back to the vehicle you left there, or you have to turn around and hike back. There's not a lot of scenery other than the reedy little lakes and the creek.

There was a fire in the Chilnualna area, this year, so there may be a section of trail that's closed.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SnowdoniaWales » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Thank you for your response!!!

I was thinking of hiking it in one day. I would leave a car at the Chilnualna Falls trailhead and then someone would drop me off at Quartz Mountain trailhead.

It sounds like the views and the hiking trail(s) aren't great, but I would do it for the adventure, get to know another part of the park, and for exercise.

Thoughts?
SnowdoniaWales

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:42 pm

How much driving do you have to do to get to Oakhurst? Wawona is about an hour from there. You'll drive to Wawona, backtrack- that's two hours, and then another hour to Quartz trailhead. How much daylight do you need?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SnowdoniaWales » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Thank you. Good points on the travel time.

If I do it, I will bring the head lamp.

Thank you for your responses.
SnowdoniaWales

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking