Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Pohono trail & day hiking

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Pohono trail & day hiking

Postby darkscreamz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Last edited by darkscreamz on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkscreamz

Re: Pohono trail & day hiking

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:58 pm

I think that's realistic. You've got about 12-13 miles of trail from GP > Tunnel View. Allowing for a few brief stops, figuring you guys should be able to move at about 2+mph at a fairly comfortable and consistent pace, 7-9 hours should do it. A generally smooth and good trail, but a little steep and exposed on the final descent though. Hike down from TV to Bridalveil and then catch the Valley Shuttle back to the lodge.

There really isn't a viable spot at which to park or overnight (unless you're backpacking) along the route...it's sort of a start/finish kind of thing.

Check the weather and temps. Definitely have the right layers.

Bring headlamps, just in case.

Four- Mile is pretty nice, but if you're up there, and Pohono is what you want, go for it. Not a lot of views, but be sure to spend some time at Taft Point.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby darkscreamz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Last edited by darkscreamz on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkscreamz

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Yes, my mistake. Service on that route ended yesterday. The only year-round is the Hotel Shuttle. You would have to walk the Valley Loop Trail at this point to get back to your hotel.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:14 pm

And do take in the view at Dewey Point. One of our favorite spots in Yosemite.

You could also do this as a day hike, hiking from Sentinel Dome past Taft Point to Dewey Point and back. 11 miles or so. No need for buses or shuttles...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:52 pm

I did the Pohono Trail from Glacier Point to Tunnel View in 2014.

Just over 9 hours and a little under 15 miles.

Some up and down at the start (especially if you go to the top of Sentinel Dome), but mostly downhill after Dewey Point.
The hiker's bus to GP is what I used.

As for getting from Tunnel View back to the east side of the valley this time of year... you either need to hike back or hitch a ride. I managed to grab a lift back at Tunnel View (lots of people stop there, so not hard to find people around unless you get there past sunset).
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby darkscreamz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 pm

darkscreamz

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking