Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

TR -Virginia Lakes to Twin Lakes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

TR -Virginia Lakes to Twin Lakes

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Been incredibly busy so I have had not time to post the trip report. So We started at Virginia Lakes, through Virginia Canyon, up Matterhorn Canyon, down Slide Canyon to the Slide, up to Snow Lake and out to Twin Lakes/Mono Village
Weather was nothing short of gorgeous. Daytime temps started in the 80's and slow dropped into the low 70's. Everyday was T-shirt and shorts. Evenings were windy on Monday night, balmy Tuesday - Wednesday, and most of Friday night. Very early Friday morning the temps dropped and the wind came up. We knew Friday was going to cool off, but not that bad.
Had a very late start on Monday, due to my getting caught behind a very slow moving lumber truck on 108, then sat for a hour on 395 due to construction.
We finally get moving around 2 PM, and got as far as Summit Lake and camped.

The next day we headed down to Virginia Canyon and camped at the head of Matterhorn Canyon. The view just before we dropped down to our site in Matterhorn Canyon. You can just see the Sawtooth Ridge.

From that campsite we headed up Matterhorn Canyon to Burro Pass
Matterhorn Canyon from Burro Pass

The Sawtooth Ridge

A look down Slide Canyon

The Slide

A good Idea of how enormous the Slide is - My hiking partner is on the right hand side of the picture

The climb out of Slide Canyon

Camp site view from Snow Lake

Headed down from Snow Lake

Just a few switchbacks to get down

I really like the color of this pond

Was a great trip with great views and excellent hiking.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: TR -Virginia Lakes to Twin Lakes

Postby balzaccom » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:06 am

Excellent. That's a great part of the park.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:26 am

Great photos, Steve. That slide is enormous, and the shot you took of your partner really puts it into some perspective. Man, I can't even begin to tell you how much I wish I was there right now instead of here. I needed a boost in morale today, and seeing that really helped me out. Thanks.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:02 pm

balzaccom wrote:Excellent. That's a great part of the park.

Thanks it is my 5th time in that area and it never gets old
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:05 pm

Phil wrote:Great photos, Steve. That slide is enormous, and the shot you took of your partner really puts it into some perspective. Man, I can't even begin to tell you how much I wish I was there right now instead of here. I needed a boost in morale today, and seeing that really helped me out. Thanks.

Glad to help!!!! ya I am suffering from post hiking blues myself. Knowing it may have been the last hike for this year...
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking