Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Cathedral Lake Trail water crossings 15 June 2017

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Cathedral Lake Trail water crossings 15 June 2017

Postby Bighead » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:07 am

Wow, I was on the backcountry website today and a lot of Trail heads for June are filling up fast. With that said I'm planning a trip to Yosemite June 15th. My question is about water crossings on the Cathedral Lake Trail. I only did a rudimentary reconnaissance of the map but I see one crossing about 1/2 to the lake with a possible second depending on where we go at the lake. I know that this is an incredibly vague question without knowing what the snowpack will be but typically how bad are these crossings? We will be doing a giant loop over 8 days eventually coming out at Pohono/ Wawona Tunnel.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Cathedral Lake Trail water crossings 15 June 2017

Postby Phil » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am

There aren't any serious water crossings anywhere on the JMT between the Cathedral Lakes trailhead and Yosemite Valley. The only one that might be of even the slightest concern in terms of getting a little wet if you can't find a good log to cross on is Long Meadow Creek as you descend into Long Meadow at the Sunrise HSC.

That said, in June, the trail will be likely to still have quite a bit of snowpack, and water sheeting off and/or standing where it doesn't...dry year, wet year, whatever...just the nature of the conditions still at that point in time. If there is still a good deal of snow, the trail is blazed up to the lakes and easily navigable if you know what you're doing and what to look for. At the least, you'll want good sealed boots, probably some micro spikes, gaiters, a pair of kayak socks, as well as an extra pair or two of whatever you normally use.

Also, weather isn't particularly stable that time, so full rain gear and some extra insulative layers are a must....
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks, I'm puttimg it in now and crossing my fingers that weather/snowpack/etc.. all cooperate. Because the trail heads are filling up so fast I want to get my permit in now. I've been told if I want to do this in reverse Wawona Tunnel to Cathedral Lake that I can still get the permit easily this spring.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:56 pm

The reason why the reverse permit up from the tunnel is so easy to get is because the climb up with a full pack on is like death.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking