Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Where is this???

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Where is this???

Postby Bighead » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:05 am

I've seen this picture several times and I'm curious to see if anyone can tell me the actual location or may even have coordinates. I know it is east of Merced Lake and looking at the map I have a pretty good idea but if it's where I think it is then it is off of any trails and will take a little bit of ability to reach.

Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Where is this???

Postby Justin-T » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:42 am

Google image search pulls up at least a couple of shots that look to have been taken from the identical spot, so I think it has to be closer to the trail down from Vogelsang HSC than you think. Based on the elevation above Merced Lake I think its after the Lewis/Fletcher split, but I can't tell which side. If I had to guess I'd say Lewis side, because I don't recall that view from last summer when I was going up the Fletcher side. But maybe I should dig through the 1,500 images I took again :D
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:54 pm

On second thoughts, I think its off the Lewis creek trail as indicated by the arrow on the diagram below. I'm saying this based on the viewpoint in relation to the two fairly straight edges of the Lake, the northern edge of which is to the right of the viewpoint, the southerly edge of which is clearly to the left of the viewpoint :

Imagetrail__Vogelsang_to_Merced_Lake by Justin-T64, on Flickr
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:01 pm

That's the Fletcher Creek Trail <100 yds as I recall uptrail from the bridge across Lewis Creek.

As far as you can make it out from the photo, check your view angles and draw a straight line from the furthest point out at the face of Half Dome, past Merced Lake's west shore, then up to the corresponding point on the trail and with the topography. It'll line right up, and you'll see pretty much right where it is.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 pm

i checked my photos and found one that's very similar, except clearly from slightly lower elevation, closer to the lake, and slightly more to the south than from where this one was taken. Given the trail I was on this is, not surprisingly, completely consistent with Phil's estimate of the location. 8)
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks! I had jumped onto Google Earth and found a couple locations based of the locations both of you initially mentioned and I have a couple spots picked to check out when we reach that area. I'm going to post a proposed loop later this evening or tomorrow and get everyone's input. Unfortunately the permits for mid June were filling up so fast that I went ahead and pulled the trigger with the knowledge that depending on weather, snowpack, etc... it may not work as planned.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:17 pm

I actually looked for that spot in hopes of camping there when I was backpacking in the Merced Lake area last Memorial Day weekend.

Ended up a little lower on the trail in a spot I thought was that location. Still had a great view of the lake and the top of Half Dome, but if I had gone a little further up I would have found the spot in that picture.

Did find it after climbing up the trail for a bit the next morning:

GPS coordinates:
<wpt lon="-119.391277" lat="37.742052">
<ele>2417.600000</ele>
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm

WanderingJim THANKS!
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby robow8 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Found a video where they camped there and took coordinates.
37°44' 32" N
119°23' 28" W
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking