Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camping with Kids

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camping with Kids

Postby FrankieG » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:00 am

Hey all, so this summer we're going to take the kids to Yosemite for the first time (they're 3 and 5), and camp as well... and I'm seriously excited about it!! First of all, do you have any recommendations of a family friendly camp site which has some nice walks nearby? Secondly, is this something we should be considering buying for our youngest: http://www.prams.net/deryan-baby-luxe-p ... ean-blue-c ...a friend recommended it to us, but I'm not so sure... looks like it could be useful, but also don't want to waste space bringing something that's not going to be needed?

FrankieG

Re: Camping with Kids

Postby Phil » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Anywhere in Yosemite Valley or Tuolumne Meadows, assuming you can get a reservation or walk-in for a site. Along Tioga Rd (Hwy 120) would be everything from White Wolf, to Yosemite Creek, to Porcupine Flats; reserved sites and/or a better chance of a walk-in with no reservation than either of the latter campgrounds. You won't have to worry about finding trails around any of them...maybe too many trails. I promise.

I don't know about the little tent thingy. Seems like it might be fun for a kid, or he might feel like he's being isolated and punished. And if you should happen to have a bear come into the camp (which is a real possibility) he might need a little therapy afterwards if he's in there alone. If you think you need it, go for it. If not, why bother?

And speaking of bears and kids...you really want to make sure the kids know all the rules about food and garbage, especially in and around tents and at bedtime. Check their pockets for anything that has a smell, including things like chapstick and candy and energy bar wrappers. Don't get particularly worried, just be aware.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Camping with Kids

Postby Dave_Ayers » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:25 pm

With small kids it may be more important to have running water. Most camps do (like White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows) but some don't (like Porcupine Flat and Little Yosemite). So keep that in mind if it is important to you and bring a big water container if you go to a camp without it. You can see it listed in the last column in the table on the Yosemite Campgrounds page at https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm .
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds