Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking/Camping Big Oak, Flat Road, El Cap and N. Dome

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking/Camping Big Oak, Flat Road, El Cap and N. Dome

Postby jeremyscully » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

Hi all,

I am planning a 4 day through hike at Yosemite and looking the map I am thinking:
Start: Old Big Oak Flat Trail to the footbigde and camping there (or close by)
Day 2: El Capitan Trail to KP Pinnicle and camping around there
Day 3: El Capitcan Trail to Three Brothers, Eagle Peak Meadows, to North Dome (and camping close by)
Day 4: Indian Ridge Trail and down Snow Creek Trail

How feasible is this by? Is there camping along these trails?

Thanks
Jeremy
jeremyscully

Re: Hiking/Camping Big Oak, Flat Road, El Cap and N. Dome

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am

It depends on when you go. Now would not be a good time. July, maybe. The snow might melt off enough by then to allow you to see the trails....

At the moment that road is also being worked on and frequently closed to traffic. Lots of rockfalls and landslides right now, and flooding. I suspect that too will impact the months to come.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jeremyscully » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 am

Planning on August.

My biggest question is about camping along the trail
jeremyscully

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 am

People do that route a lot and there are plenty of well used campsites. As long as you are following rules regarding where you cannot camp (within a mile of roads, a certain distance from the trailhead, etc -- all explained when you pick up the permit in the wilderness office) you can camp wherever you like. Although it is generally a good idea to park your bear canister a good distance from cliffs and water, so the bears can't kick it off and make it disappear forever.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jeremyscully » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 am

Cool thanks.

4 days seem about right for this route?
jeremyscully

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 am

That would depend on how much you hike per day and how much camping you like to do. Some people hike to camp, others prefer more motion and less meditation. Parking on North Dome for a day doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, after tanking up water and bringing it over.... Probably the best view of Half Dome in the park.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jeremyscully » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 pm

so do you think starting at North Dome and heading towards El Cap is a better than starting at Big Oak and ending at North Dome?
jeremyscully

Postby Phil » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:34 pm

jeremyscully wrote:so do you think starting at North Dome and heading towards El Cap is a better than starting at Big Oak and ending at North Dome?

No, coming in from Big Oak Flat is better because it saves you lots of climbing up either the Falls Trail or Snow Creek Trail, and it gives you a full sweep of the North Rim.

The only issue I see with your original plan that I want to make sure you're clear on is that, unless you want to go cross country from Indian Ridge, you need to backtrack and follow the Trail back toward Porcupine Creek before heading down to Snow Creek.

In late August, you also want to keep track of available water sources, especially around North Dome.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking