Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Topo Maps

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Topo Maps

Postby Justin-T » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:57 am

Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing this, it works very well and its very intuitive to generate a route. Fantastic to have this rather than poring over a map and making some guesses about elevation changes within each segment. Copying the junction by junction info into the clipboard and pasting into a Word file worked perfectly.

Some feedback for improvement:

1 - the route disappears if you click on "How it works" after generating a route, and then go back to "Map". For routes with many points its annoying to have to do it again.
2- perhaps place a permanent dot on the elevation profile corresponding to each junction?

After playing with it a bit more, one thing I noticed is that the mileages are sometimes significantly different from the Tom Harrison map, for example Bernice Lake junction to Bernice Lake is 1.0 in the TH map but 0.5 on Traillon. Looking at the map myself I'm guessing the TH distance might be an overestimate. Now I'm curious how the distances were calculated for the Traillon implementation...
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MadDiver » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:41 pm

A nice planning tool. I like being able to rapidly see distance and elevation profiles as well as a time estimate (greatly varies person to person but a good starting point). A few (constructive) criticisms: Tone down the trail lines a bit, they are way too heavy; you are missing the Glen Aulin and Merced Lake HSCs; the contour markings make no sense 9022', 9186', 8858' ??? where did these possibly come from...nor are they standard 40' contours. No marking of the Wilderness Boundary. Very limited off trail utility.
MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Justin-T » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:04 pm

weird numbers in feet are undoubtedly conversions from metric, 8858' = 2699.9m for example.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby rafal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts! - really appreciate it.

@Justin-T - the distance was mainly calculated based on Haversine formula.
rafal

Postby Justin-T » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:51 am

rafal wrote:@Justin-T - the distance was mainly calculated based on Haversine formula.

But doesn't that assume the path between two points is a straight line? Did you follow the trail on satellite maps and use many intermediate points beyond simply the trail junctions?
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby rafal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 am

Yes, by using Haversine formula you can calculate the distance between two points, but in Traillon when you look at i.e. path from Happy Isles to Vernal Fall Footbridge you can see that there are many intermediate points on this specific path. So in this case the distance is not calculated only between junctions, but between all intermediate points visible on the path and then summed up.
rafal

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking