Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Pohono Trail Camping Question

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Pohono Trail Camping Question

Postby idiotwind » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Am I correct in understanding that I cannot camp at LYV on the first night if I start my trip to Half Dome on the Pohono Trail? If that is correct, where am I able to camp the first night? Trip is tentatively planned for August.
idiotwind
Regular
Regular

Re: Pohono Trail Camping Question

Postby Dave_Ayers » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Look at the Yosemite Trailhead Map at https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf . There are 3 Pohono permits noted by numbers 4, 5, and 7 on the map. You would get one of those permits, depending on where you enter, if you expect to camp between the red and orange/green arrowheads. If you don't expect to camp along that stretch of the Pohono Trail, those are not the permits you want.

Edit 3/1/2017: My comments apply to the 1st night camp location only.
Last edited by Dave_Ayers on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 pm

Within regulations, and don't forget water. In August, that's probably going to limit where you can camp on the Pohono without hauling it with you to Bridalveil Creek.

What was your original starting trailhead? If it's Tunnel View, that's a long, painful haul to LYV. Generally, most trailheads in that whole vicinity in and around Glacier Point require you to be either on the Pohono or in allowed areas along Illilouette Creek the first night unless they specifically state that they're for LYV or a pass-through. Also make sure you get the HD permit as an addendum to whatever wilderness permit you end up with. No ticket, no ride...and they do stand at the bottom of the cables and check.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby idiotwind » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you for your replies. It looks I messed up my starting point on my wilderness reservation. Doh! I need to start in Glacier Point, which will let me camp at LYV night 1.

Problem solved.

Thanks, again.
idiotwind
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking