Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

In need of a campsite June 20, 2017 for one night

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

In need of a campsite June 20, 2017 for one night

Postby ktrboston » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:49 am

Hello everyone, my GF and I are coming to Yosemite for week long backpacking trip but need a one night stay on June 20,2017. all sites are booked on that day and we are weary about getting a spot at Camp 4 because we do not get into Yosemite until 4-5pm and it fills up so fast.
If anyone has campsite in the village and willing to share some room with us. We would be grateful. We will be willing to pay half the campsite fee.
Thank you!

If anyone has any other ideas on where we can stay one night, please feel free.
ktrboston

Re: In need of a campsite June 20, 2017 for one night

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 am

If you already have a wilderness permit reserved and are picking it up that day, go to the backpacker camp near North Pines. 5/person. No reservations and they'll take everyone.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ktrboston » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:26 am

Hello AlmostThere,
our permit is not till the 22nd. My plan was to fly in on Tuesday 20 drive to Yosemite and camp. Wednesday morning take hiker bus to Tuolumne meadows and stay at backpackers campsite.
Overall Plan is below

Thurs June 22 - Day 1: Start hiking. Would like to get to Ireland lake or camp off trail at intersection for Ireland lake
Fri June 23 - Day 2: Leave Ireland lake to Babcock lake or near there
Sat June 24 - Day 3: Hike towards Merced lake to echo intersection
Sun June 25 Day 4: Hike towards Yosemite
Day 5 optional
This is our main route that we are planning on taking at this time.
My issues: roads being open, bus being operational, and snow pack on trails.
ktrboston

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 am

So take the bus to Tuolumne if one runs the day you get there, and stay in the backpacker camp there. If you bus in, you can stay in any backpacker camp. The Superintendents Compendium states that people arriving by bike, foot, or public trans can stay in backpacker camps without a wilderness permit. You can print the compendium from the website - sometimes rangers and park staff are not aware of the rule, though it's always been the rule.

Your other problem, other than the possibility of the road being closed and snow everywhere, is the snowmelt -- the streams may well be too dangerous to cross. Too many dead hikers on the long list of deaths in Yosemite tried to cross the water when it was high and fast. Be safe.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ktrboston » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 am

Yes, that did cross my mind. We have talked about it and not going to do anything risky or makes us feel uncomfortable.
Thank you for the tips. I have the Compendium and looking at it.
On the hiker bus, they only run once during the day correct? and leaves at 800 am ish.
We wont be able to get into Cali around 1130ish and another 3-4 hrs to Yosemite
Last edited by ktrboston on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ktrboston

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:39 am

Since Aramark took over from the previous concessionaire I'm not sure what their schedule is... haven't used it in a long time. But I suspect that one run is still the case. There may be a YARTS at 5 pm if you are on a weekend day.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds