Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Planning an RV camping trip to Yosemite

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby happycamper » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:27 pm

I am planning on a 3 day RV camping trip to Yosemite this summer and plan to stay in the Pines.

I understand that there is a dumping station in Yosemite. Is that where we can discharge the grey and black water from our tanks?

Also where can we go to top up fresh water? This will be my fisrt time in an RV and I will be going with my wife and 2 kids. BTW my wife uses a lot of water.

I will be renting a 30 foot RV. How accessible is it to drive around Yosemite and visit the sites on a vehicle of this size.
happycamper

Postby Wickett » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:49 pm

I do not know about the RV provisions, just wanted to make sure that you check the campsites carefully when you book. The sites have a maximum length for vehicles so pay attention when you book. I would hate to hear that you couldn't fit in the site. Cheers!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Planning an RV camping trip to Yosemite

Postby dan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 am

There's a dump station near the entrance to Upper Pines campground in Yosemite Valley.

Most of the roads should handle a 30' RV. The maximum length in park campgrounds is 40'. The dirt road to Tamarack Flat campground would be a problem, but the others should be OK.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby happycamper » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback. But how is parking for a 30 ft RV when it comes to visiting the sites. As the RV is now our transportation, we probably need to drive it everywhere only to come back at the campsite in the evenings.
happycamper

Postby Laguna Camper » Fri May 29, 2009 2:51 am

If you haven't made a reservation by now, you may be out of luck getting a spot in the valley, especially during summer. As for getting around, you can leave your motorhome at your campsite and use the convenient, free shuttle bus service to get around to virtually all of the valley destinations. Even if you were to drive your motorhome around, you would be hard-pressed to find a place to park it, at least in the valley.
Laguna Camper
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 31, 2009 5:52 pm

+1 on using the shuttles. I sat in traffic for an hour leaving the valley after a dayhike. The shuttles use the left lane and drive right by the lines of cars.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds