Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Memorial Day Weekend?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Memorial Day Weekend?

Postby robow8 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 am

Will it be feasible to do anything in Yosemite? I'm looking for something short, 5 miles or so. Hike in on Saturday, out on Monday.
I know I will need a permit. Strategy for a walkup?

Thanks.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: Memorial Day Weekend?

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am

You and everyone else will be queued up at Wawona or in the Valley Visitor Center. I can see from the full trailheads report that some are banking on Tioga Rd being open, but unless there's a month long heat wave that melts everything at once they are dreaming...

Not sure but I believe Rockslides is permitted separately than OBOFRT. That would start you at the gate at milepost V11 and send you up the road to junction with Old Big Oak Flat - a little bouldering action, patchy snow, but a less used approach to that trailhead that would put you on the north rim.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 am

About five miles? Did not parse that at first...

If you want to skip the permits entirely go to Hite Cove. It's National Forest and no permit is needed, just a campfire permit. As long as the (sometimes precarious) trail is not wiped out it is four miles out to the very old remains of a mining town on the south fork of the Merced, and the flowers and such should be nice. Just look out for poison oak.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am

Yep, but the flowers will be way past their prime by then. Miguel Meadows out of Hetch-hetchy or Lake Eleanor is an options.

There's going to be a LOT of snow up high. Why not enjoy Yosemite Valley in it's full glory?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby robow8 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 pm

balzaccom wrote:Yep, but the flowers will be way past their prime by then. Miguel Meadows out of Hetch-hetchy or Lake Eleanor is an options.

There's going to be a LOT of snow up high. Why not enjoy Yosemite Valley in it's full glory?

The Valley is an option, but what do I do for lodging?
I would like to go to LYV. If I get a permit for another trailhead, would they let me exchange my permit for another open trailhead? Permit would allow me one night at the BP campground. Does that mean permit, or is a permit confirmation sufficient?

I get enough poison oak down here in SoCal. :x
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:06 am

You are correct that if you have a backpacking permit, you are allowed one night before and one night after the permit in the backpacker's campground in the valley.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:51 am

You wouldn't swap or exchange one permit for another, you abandon one and reapply for a new one. I can't find anything specific in the regs or Superintendent's Compendium on it, but the backpacker's camps are for next day wilderness entry, so I would imagine that a confirmation of that next day date would be sufficient, even without the actual permit. Don't quote me on that. Although, as you know, the permit itself is a signed confirmation that you agree to follow all regulations, so it becomes a gray area that should be verified before you test it out. The rangers want paperwork that's in order and verifies that you have a legitimate right to be there and with every good intention of compliance that's within your control.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby robow8 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 pm

Phil wrote:You wouldn't swap or exchange one permit for another, you abandon one and reapply for a new one. I can't find anything specific in the regs or Superintendent's Compendium on it, but the backpacker's camps are for next day wilderness entry, so I would imagine that a confirmation of that next day date would be sufficient, even without the actual permit. Don't quote me on that. Although, as you know, the permit itself is a signed confirmation that you agree to follow all regulations, so it becomes a gray area that should be verified before you test it out. The rangers want paperwork that's in order and verifies that you have a legitimate right to be there and with every good intention of compliance that's within your control.

I'm going to end up calling the Wilderness Office to make sure on things. My plan is to get a reservation to a less desirable trail, with hopes of getting an upgrade once there. Hopefully the reservation will let me stay one night in the Valley, and we'll go from there.

We'll see.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking