Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hitchhiking in Yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hitchhiking in Yosemite

Postby jwalko » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 am

We are doing a northern Yosemite Backpacking route, starting at Hetch Hetchy and ending at Tuolumne Meadows. Our problem is getting back to our car at Hetch Hetchy. i see we can take the shuttle from TM to Crane Flat, but that still leaves 25 miles to get from Crane Flat back to Hetch Hetchy. Are there any shuttle services or ride share options available that could get us from Crane Flat to HH? What about hitch hiking in Yosemite? Any advice on the safetly of it? Any advice solving our little transportaion problem will be appreciated!!!
jwalko

Re: Hitchhiking in Yosemite

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 pm

No shuttles to Hetch Hetchy from anywhere in the park.

Hitchhiking has always been safe for us, but you're going to probably end up needing several different rides to get back to your car, and it's going to also probably take a long time. It's usually best if only one person goes, and if they leave their pack with the others.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jwalko » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks Phil. Guess we will thumb it and hope for the best!
jwalko

Postby jwalko » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 am

Has anyone ever Uber'ed a ride in Yosemite?
jwalko

Postby WanderingJim » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:46 am

jwalko wrote:Has anyone ever Uber'ed a ride in Yosemite?

Outside of the valley and from on top of some of the highest peaks, there's not much cell coverage in Yosemite, so Uber/Lyft aren't going to be likely to help.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby OMark » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:50 am

jwalko wrote:Has anyone ever Uber'ed a ride in Yosemite?

Ha, I wouldn't count on it. I don't think Ubers will be sitting around there.
OMark

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park