Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Early June 2017 / 3 Day Itinerary / 1st timers

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Early June 2017 / 3 Day Itinerary / 1st timers

Postby TropicRai9 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi, there will be 3 of us hiking starting the morning of June 3rd and completing on June 6th. 2 have done backcountry before, and 1 has not, and this will be our first time at Yosemite. We're flying in from NY, driving up from LA on June 2nd, and staying overnight at Half Dome Village. So hopefully we should be able to do something first-come first serve early morning on June 3rd, as we haven't been able to make a campground reservation.

All are relatively fit. One (me) is not a huge fan of heights (i.e. I avoid being on trails very close to steep drop offs whenever possible). Overall, we're looking to enjoy this trip and not feel rushed each day...have time to relax by lakes, overlooks, sit by the campfire, etc. Also, we'd ideally like to not be hiking/camping in snowy/icy conditions. Open to all and any suggestions on itinerary and otherwise.

We really liked parts of this itinerary: https://www.outdoorproject.com/blog-new ... ional-park

Thank you!
TropicRai9

Re: Early June 2017 / 3 Day Itinerary / 1st timers

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:31 am

You'll need to adjust expectations to include the snow that will still be present - currently roads are closed, and Tuolumne Meadows is likely to remain so until the road is cleared. That might happen by July. Glacier Point will probably open sooner.

You are not clear on whether you want to backpack or camp and hike. The latter will be much easier to do while avoiding snow and dangerous water crossings.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TropicRai9 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:28 am

Thank you. Ideally we'd like to backpack, but we're open to camping and hiking if the conditions just aren't good. So looking for 3-day itinerary recommendations in both cases.
TropicRai9

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 am

So your choices will be north rim, south rim, or going up from happy isles to Merced lake or until you hit solid snow anyway.

Or going up to Chilnualna Falls, until you hit snow.

Or camp, and hike to upper yosemite falls, mirror lake, little yosemite valley, four mile trail, around the valley floor trail, soaking in the valley itself. Which is my recommendation for anyone coming for the first time. If you can find a campsite...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dbrodsky » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:10 pm

Any suggestions on what temperature sleeping bag would be good for this time of year (especially in light on this years lows)?

thanks
dbrodsky
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Well... I usually pack enough that I can be comfortable at 20-25F regardless of the time of year, because I've been snowed on in July and August before. In winter, October - March, I'll go with the 0F gear. The presence of snow in the area can make things feel colder than they are as well.

Camping in Yosemite valley will likely be warmer, 35-55F, but adding elevation will see a drop in night temps. The estimate is 3-4 degrees per thousand feet, plus, if you are camped in the bottom of a canyon cold air will run right down the slopes and collect at the bottom, and being near water also has a cooling effect. So between elevation, topography, and weather variability you can see subfreezing temps easily in the height of summer.

Last week another 25" of snow fell on the high country, by the way. We're at 100 inches at around 8000 feet. That'll be melting like crazy come May and June. Look out for mosquitos....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 pm

For a 3-4 day hike that time of year, I'd suggest starting at big oak road, going east along the north rim to EL Cap for the first night, enjoying Yosemite falls from the top, go to North dome for the second night (sunsets and sunrise are spectacular from the top of north dome).
From there you could either go back to the valley via Snow Creek or spend another night out on the trail before heading to the valley. Maybe even doubling back to go down the Yosemite falls trail.

You can leave you car at the trail head and hitch back or the other way around. Hiker's bus might not be running that early due to the large amount of snow this year.

I'd say 32 degree bag would be fine that time of year (and probably overkill, but I only have a 32 degree and -20 bag, so I know -20 would be like a sauna at that time of year, even with this years snow pack). Hard to say for sure until you see how much snow, but the north rim shouldn't hold snow as long as higher elevations, so it should be okay for the most part.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite