Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sunset at Glacier Point and hike down 4-mile in dark?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sunset at Glacier Point and hike down 4-mile in dark?

Postby Dodo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi - I'm planning my first trip to Yosemite this July (2017) and I have a couple questions about Glacier point. Thanks!

1. Is sunrise typically just as spectacular as sunset? (Seems like it would be less crowded)
2. If we aim for sunset on Glacier point, and hike up the 4-mile trail, is it safe to walk back down in the dark? Or is there a shuttle down?

We'll have 3 and a half days to explore the park, but our airbnb in an hour away, so I'm trying to figure out what to do each day.
Dodo
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Sunset at Glacier Point and hike down 4-mile in dark?

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:58 pm

The bus is a tour bus, and I believe the last one was around 3 -4 pm. So no, there is no shuttle down.

All the trails in Yosemite are well maintained and pretty broad. However, it is disorienting to hike after dark sometimes, particularly if there are use trails that get well established -- every so often you might run across one that leads a short distance to a viewpoint or a convenient bush to pee behind, and it's a popular thing also to accidentally walk off a water bar into the woods, inadvertently creating a trail. So while you will probably be fine with a good flashlight or headlamp, it would be good to take care you don't end up accidentally lost.

I would drive up to the Sentinel Dome parking lot and do sunset on that vantage point, then walk back to the car on the mile of trail between that lot and the dome. We've had a potluck up there before. Less opportunities to be lost that way.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Great advice from AT, as usual.

If you have that kind of time, spend one day hiking in Tuolumne Meadows (Gaylor Lakes, Pothole or Lembert Dome) and one day doing the classical Mist Trail/Nevada Falls Hike. One day for Sentinel Dome​/Tasting Point/Dewey Point, and the partial day just exiting the Valley, including out in the Meadows.

Alternate ideas? Tuolumne Grove of Sequoias or hiking to either Clouds Rest or Mt. Hoffman.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:03 pm

A day spent hiking out to North Dome from Tioga Rd is another good option, spectacular view of Half Dome at the turnaround point.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm

AlmostThere wrote: ...and it's a popular thing also to accidentally walk off a water bar into the woods, inadvertently creating a trail.

4.8 stars on Trip Advisor

I sure wish I could say I've never done it before, but...
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Phil wrote:
AlmostThere wrote: ...and it's a popular thing also to accidentally walk off a water bar into the woods, inadvertently creating a trail.

4.8 stars on Trip Advisor

I sure wish I could say I've never done it before, but...

We lost someone on Ten Lakes pass that way. She walked off into the woods, and a backpacker coming across off trail from Grant Lakes ran across her, otherwise she would have probably kept going until she hit Glen Aulin.

Never say it'll never happen. :?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Well, those cross country adventures gotta start somewhere...
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Problem was, she routinely got lost hiking on trails, which was her entire motivation for joining our hiking group in the first place....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:54 pm

"Oh, there she goes again. Let's see where she ends up this time." :twisted:

Did you guys ever consider starting her out lost to see if she would end up actually on the trail? May Lake via Half Moon Meadow. Here's a rope, have fun.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking