Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

North Rim tamarack or Big Oak Flat TH

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

North Rim tamarack or Big Oak Flat TH

Postby wmclemore01 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:47 am

Planning a trip along the North rim.

Tamarack Flat TH looks to be less mileage and less altitude gain than Old Big Oak Flat TH for a starting point.

Are there any disadvantages to trying to get your permit for Tamarack Flats over Old Big Oak Flats TH?

Any other considerations between considering Tamarack TH over Old Big Oak Flats TH?

Appreciate any help,

Thank
wmclemore01
Regular
Regular

Re: North Rim tamarack or Big Oak Flat TH

Postby balzaccom » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:13 am

One advantage depends on the time of year. Tamarack won't be open until they open Tioga Road--and this year, that will be later than usual. BOF trailhead is pretty much open all year long, so you have access to it.

For example, right now there is no access to Tamarack. When are you planning your trip?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby wmclemore01 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 am

Assuming the road is open, are you able to drive to Tamarack campground and TH.

Some of the older maps i am looking at still shows it as closed, or unpaved. My National Geo map looks like its no problem to drive right up to the Campground and TH, but i thought i should double check with you guys.

Considering late July , early August.

As far as permits go, is Tamarack any easier or harder to get per the early lottery?

Thank
wmclemore01
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm

It's unpaved. As stated it will open when Tioga Road does -- maybe mid June. It might be delayed in opening if they delay opening the campground due to fallen trees -- it's at an elevation where lots of trees have died off and with the weather this year it's probable that there's plenty of work to do before they get it open. I'm not placing any bets.

It's probably easier to get a permit if only because the more popular ths fill up first, but it'll likely fill if the uptick in backpackers wanting permits continues.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:42 pm

They did a lot of work on the road down to Tamarack Flat last year, so once it does open (and it will be open and accessible for any type of vehicle by the time you go), try to get your reservation for there. A campground, bear lockers, better parking, and only about 2.2 miles to your trail junction to start the rim trail at Cascade Creek. Big Oak Flat is barely a shoulder on the road across from Foresta, and frankly, burned out, brushy, hot and exposed, uphill, and kind of ugly on the first leg of the first couple miles until you hit the trees. In fact, I've never even seen anyone actually parked there or request a shuttle stop...assuming the bus would even have the room. The only thing is with Tamarack is that you're going to have to hoof it or hitch the several miles down from Tioga Rd when you want to get back to the car because the shuttle doesn't go down there...but, there is always the option of parking on Tioga Rd (plenty of room and lockers) and adding 2.5 trail miles to your walk if you want to hop right off the bus and get in the car when you're done...same permit though.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking