Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

This strange year

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

This strange year

Postby Phil » Wed May 03, 2017 3:53 pm

As of now, both Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows ski resorts are planning to stay open on weekends at least until July 4th. To give you some indication of how it all might translate into other places in the Sierras, possibly including Yosemite, Squaw is saying they have a 20 foot base, and the highest points in both are less than 9000'.

I wouldn't do that to my skis, and I'm sure it would be hellish going in places, but I think that it warrants consideration for just about everyone when you realize that most of the good hiking trails in Yosemite don't even begin until 8500' and quickly go up substantially from there.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: This strange year

Postby balzaccom » Wed May 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Yep. Only caveat is that Tahoe is further North, and got a bit more snow than Yosemite this year. But it's gonna be snowy for quite a while this summer!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed May 03, 2017 5:53 pm

I think they were about 200% of normal vs about 150% in NYP. Still..the plowing crews on Tioga said they were cutting through 8-10 feet at <8000 last week.

As for Tahoe...there goes my TRT plan for July.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Wed May 03, 2017 6:09 pm

The western part of the US is also forecast to have a warmer than normal May this year. Right now they're predicting a large trough settling over the Great Lakes region and eastern part of the US.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking