Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

housekeeping camp flooding

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

housekeeping camp flooding

Postby mckee80 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 am

Hi,
I was hoping someone had some information on flooding in housekeeping camp. I know they evacuated some sites yesterday. I'm not scheduled to arrive until the 14th. I'm not sure how long the water takes to recede. I know it is dependent on the weather, but does runoff typically gain steam once it starts? Or is it off and on? I can't decide whether to go with river side or regular unit, or to bag housekeeping camp all together. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Sean
mckee80

Re: housekeeping camp flooding

Postby Phil » Fri May 05, 2017 10:19 am

You might want to call and see what they say. Flow can change dramatically, hourly; From a backpacker's standpoint, something you can cross in the morning can be uncrossable by late afternoon. It's also going to be dependent on temperatures and rainfall. What's going on now isn't catastrophic flooding, just inconvenient. So see what the temperature forecast is for next week. If you want to err on the side of caution and not have to even think twice about it, get a higher site. If not, the sites along the river are nicer.

Here's streamflow data on the Merced at the Pohono bridge. For reference, flood stage is 10 feet, and the current reading is just under 12 feet, although the peak is presently dropping back toward 11 feet. And if they closed a few lower sites yesterday, again based on the data, they're either still closed or will be soon. It is Spring, and there is a lot of snow melting right now.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv/? ... cy_cd=USGS
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Here's the forecast and flood warning for Yosemite Valley from the NOAA. The warning is in effect until 5:30 am on Sunday the 7th, so you shouldn't have any problems unless the temps rise and the melt picks up, or if it starts raining again.

http://f1.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat= ... Qzq5fQrLrd

For Housekeeping, the river at or above 9.5 ft will result in site-specific closures.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mckee80 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks! We're going to go with the non-river unit in housekeeping and hope for the best! The NPS replied that the river units generally have to evacuate first (on the south facing bank)
mckee80

Postby janie214 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm really wondering about this as well... I see the temps are in the 70's this week -- how do I go about finding out (who do I call, website to research, etc.) the status of the river and housekeeping camp river units evacuation. I still want to book a river unit for next week (still available) for my first trip. But I'd also like to not be in a flooded camp...
janie214

Postby janie214 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:42 am

mckee80 wrote:Thanks! We're going to go with the non-river unit in housekeeping and hope for the best! The NPS replied that the river units generally have to evacuate first (on the south facing bank)

Mckee80 - have you heard any more on the flooding? I saw another flood warning today that is in effect until Wednesday afternoon. I'm holding out on booking, but am also arriving on the 14th. So torn on what to do. I'd like to not wade in water, but was so looking forward to the River Side for my inaugural trip!
janie214

Postby AlmostThere » Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 am

If the area is under water it will be closed -- wading is dangerous in that river and won't be allowed.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 am

The flood warning is in effect through tomorrow, 04/11. Overall, right now, the gauge at Pohono bridge is just coming off the 10' mark and dropping. Warmer temps in the afternoon always increases flow, so expect it to rise again as the day progresses and water from higher up works its way downriver. Now, specifically, regardless of the 10' mark, the riverside sites at housekeeping will start closing when the river is at 9.5'.

It's Spring, there's a lot of snow, it's melting, flows will be seasonably high. Plan accordingly.

And yes, "wading" in a swollen, ice-cold river is kind of what Darwin List candidates do.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakbruce » Wed May 10, 2017 10:58 pm

River Units at housekeeping camp are not all a low elevations near the river. The Valley and Merced River are generally East-West. Housekeeping Camp is boarded by the river on 3 sides - East, North, and West. The road is to the south of Housekeeping camp. River Units on the East side of the camp (up river) are the highest units in the camp and the least likely to be flooded.
oakbruce
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Visiting Yosemite