Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Early June 2017 hiking / Clouds Rest

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Early June 2017 hiking / Clouds Rest

Postby afmiller » Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 am

Hello, I'm planning out my hike to Clouds Rest from Happy Isle. I'll be taking the JMT over to clouds rest trail head. After all the snow this season, I'm trying to figure out if I need to bring micro spikes or snow shoes. I'll be in the park from 31 May to 8 June. It seems the lower elevations will be snow free. My concern is around the half dome/JMT split and onward. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
afmiller
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Early June 2017 hiking / Clouds Rest

Postby dan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:57 pm

I think the trail will be so trampled that snowshoes will only hurt. Spikes will help for the icy, shady parts. You could just wear boots with a "waffle" or Virbram pattern on the bottom (that won't help with ice--just snow and slush). Or wear "snow treads" (Yaktrax for example) on your shoes or boots.

Even if the trail is trampled it does not mean easy. Usually the trail is a collection of giant humps and holes to travel up and around if there's still snow on the ground (and in this year there will be).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking