Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne hopefuls - beware

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne hopefuls - beware

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:19 am

The bridge at Glen Aulin is OUT - down in the water, not safe to cross.

There are other bridges that are less sturdy or lower to the water on the route that may also be down and out. The water is running insanely high. PCT thrus are nearly drowning trying to cross waterways -- the plowing crew on Tioga rescued one fortunate guy who lost his pack trying to cross the Tuolumne.

Don't make bad assumptions. Come back later in the year when the melt is done and the rangers have updated info on bridges. The rangers haven't been out yet.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne hopefuls - beware

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Just spoke with a ranger up there. They went out to Glen Aulin 2 days ago. Bridges are gone-destroyed. Water is too high to cross. They have heard a 22nd of June Tioga opening. However.....I have July 4th backcountry permits. Really bummed.
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby Longnok » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:30 pm

The bridge that crosses Conness Creek to the actual Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp is out and down in the water. I've seen recent pics of both bridges. The main steel bridge, as of yesterday (you're reporting 2 days ago it was gone) can't possibly be out. Someone crossed the Tuolumne River yesterday afternoon @ 2:30pm PDT and camped just north of the area along the PCT. He has a satellite tracker, btw. Within the past hour, he finally was able to get across Return Creek after a lot of scouting and is now headed towards the Spiller Creek drainage.
Longnok

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:44 pm

I can post a picture if I can figure out how to get around an error message. The bridge IS OUT.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Longnok » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 pm

Please post your pic. It'd be interesting to see considering a group of three crossed the Tuolumne River yesterday afternoon directly below the White Cascade in mere minutes...
Longnok

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:52 pm

You know people have been crossing things -- it's how they got there. Like the fellow who crossed a river, got swept under, lost his pack, and was picked up by one of the bulldozer drivers on Tioga. Means nothing other than they were extremely fortunate and got wet.

The picture won't post. However, there's plenty of shots of conditions all over Facebook and Instagram. I'm monitoring a lot of PCT thrus that way so I know how to plan around the bridges that are out for the years it will take to fix them all.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:01 pm

So which bridge is out, above Tuolumne Falls or below White Cascade at the camp? So does anyone have any info on Return Creek's bridge? That's been out before with far less snowpack than this year. And then there's Return Creek with no bridge at all, not to mention the two bridges down at Pate.

Pictures would be great, or maybe a link to them.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Longnok » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:15 pm

There's no way in hell they crossed the Tuolumne river in mere minutes without breaking stride below Cascade Falls and that is exactly where their GPS track was. I'm, also, aware of what's going on. I'm sure you heard about Woods Creek bridge being out. Gone. And, then, magically, it was there all along and still is. My point is, don't get sucked into the vortex of rumors and fear. And, the guy that got picked up wasn't in the Tuolumne because of no bridge, he was there because he saw the work crew and decided to beeline it straight for them and made the decision to jump in and swim for his life to the other side... But, at this point, we'll just have to agree to disagree. 8)

Phil, there was a group of 3 that crossed both McCabe and Return Creek, both, a few hundred yards upstream this afternoon. They just set up camp upstream on Spiller creek about a half mile in a meadow from the PCT.
Longnok

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm pretty sure a ranger isn't making shit up... sorry, but no.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:01 pm

So the forum software refuses to post pictures.

The bridge is laying in pieces in the river. Don't be fooled by this. Water is crossing over the top but the bridge is not stable, it's dangerous, and don't pay attention to anyone who pretends they can make it -- don't even trust it if you watched a lunatic cross it five minutes ago.

Go somewhere else.

It's not safe.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Phil wrote:So which bridge is out, above Tuolumne Falls or below White Cascade at the camp? So does anyone have any info on Return Creek's bridge? That's been out before with far less snowpack than this year. And then there's Return Creek with no bridge at all, not to mention the two bridges down at Pate.

Pictures would be great, or maybe a link to them.

The bridge that the stock always crosses right at the camp broke in two. Looks like it went down under snow loading. Note that Vegas was told bridges, plural, I'd guess those poor old bridges didn't stand a chance under 20+ feet of Sierra cement.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:33 pm

I know the abutments sit a lot higher on the lower bridge, but you would think that with all the years that old steel structure has been there that it would've been able to take the load. So much for the design load calculations. I would've thought the anchoring would've failed from water flow or debris impact before it buckled. You would think that someone would've gone out and checked to see how much deflection was on those I-beams and helicoptered in a trail crew with shovels if it was even a remote possibility.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Longnok » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:32 am

Again, rumor mill is live and well. Here you go. Just saw this. This is the guy I'm referring to... It's from his wife who gets real-time message from him. Again, logic is key here and if you're aware of that location, it wouldn't be possible to cross right now without that bridge due to flow.

"Glen Aulin bridge update from Daniel Winsor's Delorme. Daniel (trail name 'Beta') has made it from Mammoth (over Mammoth Pass) to near Glen Aulin area. He was worried about Glen Aulin because of previous posts he saw before he went back on the trail. The bridge for the PCT is fully intact and safe to use as of today (6/8/2017) The bridge that is damaged is the one that leads to the High Sierra Camp which is not on the PCT."
Longnok

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:54 am

Ah, so it's the wooden bridge turning right at the entry to the camp over Conness, not the steel bridge over the Tuolumne. That would make a lot more sense in terms of it breaking in the middle. That misinterpretation of the info is my fault entirely...when I think of GA, I'm passing it, and I'm thinking Tuolumne River, not going into the HSC, so I completely spaced that second bridge, even though I'm standing right at the end of it when I turn uphill before heading down. But it still begs the questions: what is "bridges" in the plural sense, and what's going on downriver with other structures that are much more well known for being washed out?

And if I had a trailhead res for July 3rd (heck, if I could get out there today) I would keep it, go, and see what's what. I just wouldn't plan on staying at the HSC backpacker's camp.
Last edited by Phil on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Longnok » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:05 am

Phil wrote:Ah, so it's the wooden bridge turning right at the entry to the camp over Conness, not the steel bridge over the Tuolumne. That would make a lot more sense in terms of it breaking in the middle. Still doesn't clarify "bridges" in the plural, as supposedly reported by rangers.

The plurality is based on this original statement: "There are other bridges that are less sturdy or lower to the water on the route that may also be down and out.". The operative word "may". Regardless, if someone doesn't feel safe, then don't go. It's that simple. Vegas backpacker has a trip planned to Glen Aulin in early July and, most likely, the cause of his anxiety. There are a multitude of places to go in Yosemite. If the current plan isn't working out, change the plan.
Longnok

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking