Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

How do you pack your sleeping bag?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: How do you pack your sleeping bag?

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Totally serious, not as fun:

Yes, sleeping bag in a stuff sack in the bottom, in the sleeping bag compartment as a base. Clothes in a wp sack loosely spread over that to keep the height down. Ground pad next to that against my lumbar, also in a stuff sack. Bear can vertical on top of that, centered up. Tent and poles on one side of the can, stove, fuel and cooking gear on the other. Jacket in the kangaroo pouch. Raingear, maps, first aid and PLB in the lid. Everything else in various internal or side pockets. I love pockets.

I throw it in the garage when I'm not using it because I don't have a basement.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I've used a stuff sack as well as just stuffing it in the pack liner. I keep going back to a stuff sack. Clothes get stuffed in air spaces between the pad and quilt, along with the pillow and the warm hat. Everything else goes in on top....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Loose stuffing a bag is something I've tried a couple times. Didn't like it. Ends up in the dirt too often between the pack and the tent or zippers end up snagging. I'll trash a sack before I trash my bag full of feathers.

I don't do the full pack liner either, but my clothing sack is 30L. I like to have the option, but I prefer compartmentalizing gear by use whenever I can,
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jgaffney » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for all the help....I guess.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking