Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Roads and Visiting Yosemite End of March

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Roads and Visiting Yosemite End of March

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:11 pm

Author: dennis (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: 01-12-02 16:28

How are the roads that time of year? Can one drive in the park then? Can one drive to Reno that time of year? Thanks.

Re: Roads End of March
Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 01-12-02 17:45

The roads from the west side are open, but the Tioga Road, the only road that crosses the park, doesn't usually open until around Memorial Day (end of May). In heavy snow years, it's not open until June.

You can drive across the Sierra Nevada outside the park on Interstate 80, to the north around Tahoe, which is open year around.

Re: Roads End of March
Author: Ed Mergele (12.145.12.---)
Date: 10-08-05 11:22

Can we drive coming up from the south on Hwy. 395 into Yosemite Park in October?

Re: Roads End of October
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 10-08-05 11:33

Probably. Starting October 15th there is no overnight parking, as they close the road during the first big storm. However, historically, the road has not closed in October (it usually closes in mid-November). In any case, there is no gas and no services available along the road this late in the year.

For a list of historical opening and closing dates, see
http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/tioga.htm#dates
Last edited by archive on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Visting March

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Author: Colin (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: 01-29-02 12:32

Hi
I am from the UK and intend to visit Fishcamp 6th and 7th how will the roads to Fishcamp be?
I will be hiring a 4 wheel drive Chevy Blazer,will I be OK?

Thanks
Colin

Re: Visting March
Author: Dan Anderson (---.yosemite.ca.us)
Date: 01-29-02 12:47

6th and 7th of March? The Highway 41 (to Fish Camp) is kept free of snow during daylight hours. During snow storms, you will need chains or 4WD. You'll be fine with what you have. It probably won't even snow, but you have to come prepared in case it does snow.

Author: Eric Silvester (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: 03-04-03 21:32

We too our going in March. First time for 2 native Californians. We are doing it right by staying at the Ahwanee. Are there any sites that would be recommended for local things outside the Valley such as dining or other "must sees". We want to see as much as we can in the 3 days we're there and want to try to stay away from eating at the hotels in order to save a few bucks.

Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 03-05-03 11:37

The first "must see" is in the valley. See the falls, Bridalveil, Yosemite, and take the trail from Happy Isles to see Vernal and Nevada falls.
There's a nice trail along the north side of the Valley from the Ahwahnee to both Yosemite Falls (heading west) and Mirror lake (heading east).

The high country, such as Tuolumne Meadows is still under snow, as is Glacier Point.

If you're going by way of Wawona, in the southern end of the park, be sure to stop off at the Wawona Hotel. It's a historical hotel built in the late 1870s. They have a restaurant there and I like eating on the porch (if it's warm enough) looking at the meadows. Nearby Wawona is a grove of Sequoia trees. This time of year, you may have to walk on the road to get there (1 mile), but it's worth it.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Visiting end of March

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:15 pm

Author: Cindy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: 03-17-02 12:14

Hi,

I am planning to visit Yosemite for a few days on March 22 to the 24th. Weather forecasts predict rain on two days and cloudy weather on the other two. I want to be able to see scenary of the park and do activities. We don't want to be stuck in the lodge the entire time. We are driving there and plan to drive into the park. Should we postpone our trip? Since we've never been there, we're a bit nervous about the weather and snow conditions. We are coming from the SF bay area.

Thanks,
Cindy

Re: Visiting end of March
Author: Mike (---.018.popsite.net)
Date: 03-17-02 15:11

Cindy,
I wouldn't postpone your trip. Yosemite in the winter, especially with a new layer of snow is simply awesome! Since you are driving, be sure to get (rent or buy) snowchains as they can become mandatory at any time. Once you get checked into your room (I assume your staying in the park) you can take the free shuttle bus throughout the park, saving the "headache" of driving in the snow if your are uncomfortable with it.

What kinds of activities where you planning? There are several dayhikes you could take in Yosemite Valley (Mirror "Lake") and the Wawona (Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias) area as well as renting snowshoes and exploring several well-marked trails leaving from Badger Pass Ski Resort.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have anymore questions.

Mike
<a href="http://www.thebackcountry.org">The Backcountry</a>

Author: Dan Anderson (---.Sun.COM)
Date: 03-18-02 10:59

Cindy,
Check the long-term forecast. Go to the home page at
<a href="http://www.yosemite.ca.us/">http://www.yosemite.ca.us/</a> and click on "Weather." Also click on "Half Dome Cam" on the same home page and see what the valley floor looks like.

It's still Winter (in March) and you can't visit the high country, but the Valley is beautiful to see. It rarely has snow this time of year and the rains don't usually last all day. However, some rain is good as there are bigger and more waterfalls.

Author: Eric Silvester (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: 03-20-03 22:17

Hi Cindy,
We just got back and went in from the Bay Area. If you want route specific info email me, but the online info was good. The route on 140 is good in bad weather. We had a blast even though we got rain about half the time we were there. There are so many must sees even if you are only there to take pictures. It was my first time so I am still a bit euphoric. I would be happy to assist in any way possible if you email me.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

End of March Weather

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:43 pm

End of March Weather
Author: Dave (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 09-09-03 09:59

We are planning a 2-3 day trip for the last week of March 2004.
What should expect as far as the weather and what would you recommend seeing as this is our first trip? There will be 2 adults and our 14 year old son.
We all enjoy hiking
Thanks

Re: End of March Weather
Author: Dan Anderson (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: 09-09-03 21:51

It's early spring. It will be cold and wet. It may rain and you may even have some snow (uncommon). The waterfalls will be flowing. You may get some early flowers.

The high country and glacier point will be closed to cars. Cross-country and downhill skiing will be available in Badger Pass (although it's toward the end of ski season).

The best places to visit are the Valley (4000') and Wawona, with the Giant Sequoia Trees and historical buildings in the southern part of the park (about 4500'). Many trails are in the Valley--to various falls, Mirror Lake, and along the south and north sides of the valley. You can also take (or rent) a bike for the loop bike trail around the valley.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite