Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hitch hiking to Glacier Point

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hitch hiking to Glacier Point

Postby woudloper » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Hello,

we are a full day in Yosemite on the 7th of July and were planning to do the Panorama Trail down from Glacier Point. Unfortunately the Glacier Point hikers bus is already sold out on that day.

Can people tel if there are many cancellations on the day itself so we could catch the bus anyway?

Plan B could be to hitch hike to Glacier Point, but I don't know if that's commonly done?

Or maybe any volunteers over here who want to give us a ride? :D
woudloper

Re: Hitch hiking to Glacier Point

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Hitchhiking might be an option---it was for me the last time I tried it, but that was about 40 years ago,,,,!

Your luck will depend on a number of factors, including how many in your group, and what you look like. You might also try "soliciting" a ride in the Bridalveil Falls parking lot, as many of the cars there may be heading up to Glacier Point.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby marjolijn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi (hoi?) Woudloper,

my husband and I have never had a problem hitchhiking in yosemite over the past 5 years (I guess people are still as nice as they were 40 years ago ;)

It helps if there's only a couple of you and you're in a convenient spot (I'd go for Bridalveil fall too). You might have to get one ride to Tunnel View and a second one to Glacier point, which is a brilliant idea anyway because tunnel view is stunning so well worth a stop.
I always make a cardboard sign or 2 and make it stand out, and bring a thank you gift. A couple of years ago I did 'tioga road for chocolates' - I like to think the chocolates might have helped :)

fyi: I just wrote a comment on panorama trail in another post (first time in yosemite) you might find interesting.

be safe and have fun out there!
marjolijn
marjolijn

Postby ctfshjohn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:49 pm

i gave a couple a ride to the Gp turnoff from tunnel view.
theres a restroom there, people leaving the park via 41 have to drive that way from tunnel view
if you are nice the valley tour tram may get you to tunnel view if there is extra room, leaves from the lodge.
YMMV , enjoy.
ctfshjohn
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby woudloper » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:57 pm

marjolijn wrote:Hi (hoi?) Woudloper,

my husband and I have never had a problem hitchhiking in yosemite over the past 5 years (I guess people are still as nice as they were 40 years ago ;)

It helps if there's only a couple of you and you're in a convenient spot (I'd go for Bridalveil fall too). You might have to get one ride to Tunnel View and a second one to Glacier point, which is a brilliant idea anyway because tunnel view is stunning so well worth a stop.
I always make a cardboard sign or 2 and make it stand out, and bring a thank you gift. A couple of years ago I did 'tioga road for chocolates' - I like to think the chocolates might have helped :)

fyi: I just wrote a comment on panorama trail in another post (first time in yosemite) you might find interesting.

be safe and have fun out there!
marjolijn

Thank you for the response. Should we best park our own car at Bridalveil Parking space? Or go to Bridalveil with the shuttle bus?
We're just the two of us by the way.

PS: you've got PM ;-)
woudloper

Postby marjolijn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:10 pm

If I were you I'd park the car at the happy isles trailhead if you're going down from glacier point to happy isles, or somewhere on the shuttle bus routes. Note that the El Cap shuttle runs only until 5 or 6pm. (We found that out on our way down 4 mile trail, and ended up hitching a ride because we just missed the last bus)
marjolijn

Postby Dave_Ayers » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Good catch. The valley shuttle map (https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... huttle.pdf) says 7 p.m., but the Yosemite transport page (https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... UMP_566977) says 5 p.m. Sounds like the second source is the right one.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby woudloper » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:41 am

Just a quick question on teh practical way of things.
If we want to hitch hike from Bridalveil Falls parking lot: how do we get there? Because it looks to me that the El Capitan Shuttle does not ride until Bridalveil Falls parking? We should hitch hike to Bridalveil first?

Or get out the Capitan shuttle at Cathedral Beach and walk the distance to Bridalveil Falls?

Or am I missing something?

Thank you!
woudloper

Postby smokyhikr » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 am

I hitched a ride yesterday from the valley to Mono Meadow. Put a sign on my pack and started walking from the permit station. I was picked up in about 35 minutes. I met someone else that was going to hike up 4 Mile trail to get his car.
smokyhikr

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking