Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Need Ride to May Lake Trailhead July 15th WILL PAY MUCHO!!!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Need Ride to May Lake Trailhead July 15th WILL PAY MUCHO!!!

Postby Bighead » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 am

So I just found out the shuttle from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows won't start running until July 17th. I'm hoping to find someone driving up towards Tuolumne on Saturday July 15th who would be willing to give a ride to me and my two kids (18yo & 16yo). I'll definitely pay cash if anyone is willing to help out. We were planning a 9 day hike finishing in the valley and starting at May Lake > Snow Creek Trailhead. We should be in the valley by 4:00 or 5:00am.

If 3 is too many I could drop my kids at snow creek and then would only need a ride for one person.

If anyone is interested please let me know and I'll pm you my cell, thanks!!!
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Need Ride to May Lake Trailhead July 15th WILL PAY MUCHO

Postby Dave_Ayers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm guessing that you are talking about the Hiker's Bus.

YARTS 120 route will be running (at least their web site shows that tickets can be purchased). You might call 'em to see if they'll drop you at the trailhead. They are usually pretty good about that. Unfortunately, the arrival time would be ~6:30 p.m., but better than nothing. Maybe move your permit up a day and head down to the first campable site in the evening of the 14th?
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah I saw the Yarts and worst case I'll actually drive to the May Lake>Snow Creek Trailhead, leave my car, and catch a YARTS when we finish our trip.

I'm just hoping someone might be enticed if I paid them $50 or $100. :D
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm assuming that the 18 year old is the first-born? That and $17,000.00. :)

We've done YARTS to Cathedral trailhead and hit the trail at that 6:30 dropoff time. If it's super crowded, you might have a bit of a problem finding a site coming in late, but we booked it and got to the upper lake handily before dark.

With sites up there, most people like to go in the rocks to the north side, but the south side has a couple good sites too, as well as some up above the trail toward the SE. With the latter, you don't have that whole lakeside camping thing going, but you look down at the lake and people. Interesting perspective.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Wait a minute, I read Cathedral Lakes trailhead for some reason. But anyhow, yes, the YARTS buses can and will easily pull off at the May Lake> Snow Creek turnout. You need to make sure it's the right one though. It's not the parking lot at the bottom of the road up to May Lake, it's the big dirt area to the right about 1/4 mile past that. Wrong stop = hiking the road or finding a way around the pond and bushwhacking. Not fun.

Whether you're going up Watkins or trying to hang outside of the restricted zone at Snow Creek, you'll have plenty of time before dark to find and make camp for the night. You guys should be able to pull 2.5-3 mph through that entire area, no problems.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:20 am

Yeah, Yarts is our plan if we can't find a ride but I'd like to get up there earlier if possible. I'm hopeful that there will be someone interested in making a little extra cash.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:35 am

We usually like to deal with the shuttling and car stuff on the back end of trips. It's just a lot easier. I would park the car at the trailhead, do the walk, then in two days or so, the shuttles should be running out of the Valley at 8 am, or you can grab that 5 pm YARTS back to the car with all three of you onboard.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Found a ride on the Reddit Yosemite forum! We are going to shuttle/car swap with another group in the same boat we are.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking