Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help with New Backpacking Route

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Help with New Backpacking Route

Postby babaroberto » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Upon further reflection and another report telling me it's doable I'm going to attempt the outlet crossing using the utmost caution crossing and if we make it to Sunrise lakes just set up camp and do a day hike to CR without packs. We can always turn around and if reports from hikers coming the other way are promising we can try to do the trip as planned.
babaroberto

Postby babaroberto » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:50 pm

babaroberto wrote:Good advice, all of it, and we do 5 trips a year with only one in Yosemite. My limiting factor is I've been pointing to Cloud's Rest and telling the kids "One day we're gonna go there." for most of their lives. Maybe it will have to be the 10th or 15th annual trip.

So I decided to go for it and it was smooth sailing. Tenaya>Sunrise>CR>Half Dome>Valley Floor. I guess the hot weather in between the reports and Monday the 10th melted almost all the snow. The Tenaya river crossing was simple. 24" deep and no current to speak of. Only snow sections were at the top of the switchbacks before Sunrise lake turnoff, and in the saddle between there and Cloud's Rest. Easily navigated. My kids did the entire trek in sneakers though we hauled all sorts of extra stuff due to all the warnings.
babaroberto

Postby Justin-T » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks for reporting back, always good to have an up to date idea of the conditions on specific trails. Sounds like the 8,000'-10,000' elevations are really beginning to clear out from the white stuff. Glad to hear the trip went well, I'm sure you had an amazing time - I did the same trip with my 16 year old son two years ago.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dgilman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 am

babaroberto wrote:So I decided to go for it and it was smooth sailing. Tenaya>Sunrise>CR>Half Dome>Valley Floor. I guess the hot weather in between the reports and Monday the 10th melted almost all the snow. The Tenaya river crossing was simple. 24" deep and no current to speak of. Only snow sections were at the top of the switchbacks before Sunrise lake turnoff, and in the saddle between there and Cloud's Rest. Easily navigated. My kids did the entire trek in sneakers though we hauled all sorts of extra stuff due to all the warnings.

Any thoughts on the mosquitos? Heading up in two weeks Snow Creek - Sunrise - CR - Half Dome - Valley Floor and that's our biggest concern.

Thank you!

David
dgilman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby tinyisgreat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 am

Ahhhh. Im so torn now. I already switched my route with the permit office. Now I'm so tempted to switch back!
tinyisgreat

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 am

Just assume there will be mosquitoes. There are... I met a woman who had no DEET and she was head to toe with mosquito bites. I use Ultrathon (12 hour deet lotion) and soak my clothes in permethrin, and so I went unscathed.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dgilman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm

AlmostThere wrote:Just assume there will be mosquitoes. There are... I met a woman who had no DEET and she was head to toe with mosquito bites. I use Ultrathon (12 hour deet lotion) and soak my clothes in permethrin, and so I went unscathed.

Oh, we plan to be prepared - Ultrathon, permethin, head nets. I think because we were surprised in Yellowstone and it was so miserable we're just particularly on edge.
dgilman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm

I might be stating the obvious, but with the head nets, bring wide-brimmed hats. A ballcap or just over your noggin still lets them get all up in your face. You won't be bitten, but that high-pitched little whine by the thousands over a few day trip can start driving you crazy. It's not much, but 3-4" of extra margin around your face and ears makes a huge difference. There have also been a few times when I've brought those little disposable foam earplugs. I can sleep on rocks, but I can't think clearly or get to sleep with anything relentlessly buzzing. Think about how annoying it is to listen to when there are flies or mosquitoes between your rain fly and the mesh...or that ONE that managed to make it inside and always gravitates toward your ear...drives me nuts.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby babaroberto » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 am

Mosquitos were not an issue 7/10-14. Probably because the snow had just melted and no time to breed. Same time last year at Cathederal Lake the were brutal. Just bring DEET and camp where there's a breeze.
babaroberto

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking