Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Saddlebag to Upper McCabe - Late August/Early September

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Saddlebag to Upper McCabe - Late August/Early September

Postby ODS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am

I'm looking into a trip in either late August or straddling Labor Day weekend (enter on Wed/Thurs and don't come out til Monday at the earliest).

Current idea is Saddlebag to McCabe Lakes then possibly going as far west as Benson Lake before turning back east and exiting to TM via Glen Aulin.

Can anyone offer up thoughts about snow levels getting over McCabe pass form 20 lakes basin? Not sure what to expect this year.
ODS
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Saddlebag to Upper McCabe - Late August/Early September

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Satellite imagery, and recent trip report photos, still show plenty of snow and Saddlebag iced over.

The resort is still closed. Picture of the main store up to the roof in snow as of July 2 on the website: http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/

No wagers here... I was hoping to get to Martha Lake this year, but at 11k and 99% ice with plenty of snow left? I won't be fishing for goldens there any time soon.

Supposed to take a friend and her child to 20 Lakes Basin in mid-September... that's under discussion as well, a wait-and-see kind of plan that may end up being a trip to the tufas for kayaking, come back next year.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am

ODS, I doubt there will be much if any snow at 11,000 feet in late August/early Sept. Wasn't any in 2011.

AT, twasn't any issue getting to Martha Lake on August 3rd in 2011 (pics posted at HST). At Martha, there was about 25% of the level ground covered in snow and a bit of ice in the lake itself. The trails up there were snow free. Some snow above 11,000 on the climb up to Mount Goddard. Only a bit of mud nearer to Florence due to a heavy rain the days before we went in. It should be good to go this year in two or three more weeks. Just paste on the repellent through the forested meadow in the lower Goddard Canyon area.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 am

Dave_Ayers wrote:ODS, I doubt there will be much if any snow at 11,000 feet in late August/early Sept. Wasn't any in 2011.

AT, twasn't any issue getting to Martha Lake on August 3rd in 2011 (pics posted at HST). At Martha, there was about 25% of the level ground covered in snow and a bit of ice in the lake itself. The trails up there were snow free. Some snow above 11,000 on the climb up to Mount Goddard. Only a bit of mud nearer to Florence due to a heavy rain the days before we went in. It should be good to go this year in two or three more weeks. Just paste on the repellent through the forested meadow in the lower Goddard Canyon area.

I don't agree. I've already been there. Goddard Canyon is still under snow, which is why I turned around and left -- no desire to brave miles of suncups to bounce a lure off the top of the ice. We already waded in trail running with water, crossed dangerous avalanche fields of snow with trees popping up randomly -- no thanks.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ODS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Dave_Ayers wrote:ODS, I doubt there will be much if any snow at 11,000 feet in late August/early Sept. Wasn't any in 2011.

Thanks for your input. Have also been looking at possibly accessing this area via Twin Lakes. Spoke to a Ranger this morning and her take was that by end of August there should be no problem via Saddlebag or Burro Pass via Twin Lakes. Of course it's all just opinion for now. Next month will tell the tale... good thing is no quota (Saddlebag) and open availability (Twin Lakes) for permits so I can play it by ear for now and start planning other logistics for the trip.
ODS
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby ODS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:41 pm

ANOTHER QUESTION:

Any beta on good camp spot between McCabe and Benson Lake? Not sure about PCT traffic and crowds etc. in late August. Miller Lake? or down near Matterhorn Creek?
ODS
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking