Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

How to get back to the car 7/28/17

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

How to get back to the car 7/28/17

Postby RickBrad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi, I have a permit next week for the sunrise lakes trail head with the intention of heading down to Happy Isles. Itinerary is Day1 Clouds rest to Sunrise creek, Day2 Half dome and back to sunrise creek, day3 out. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get back to the car on 7/28? Yarts says they can drop off at Toulumne Meadows and the backpackers bus is not running. If I have to hike to the trail head from Tuolomne meadows (rather not, but possible), is that a violation of my permit? Any ideas? Thanks!
RickBrad
First-timer
First-timer

Re: How to get back to the car 7/28/17

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 pm

If you hike to the trailhead on the trail, it's safer than hiking on the road....

You can get the shuttle to TM and get on the YARTS. If you can't get there in time for YARTS stay the night in the backpacker camp (if it's open) and catch YARTS the next day.

Or hitchhike.

Or hike out via Happy Isles and back to your car.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Since when has YARTS not dropped off at trailheads? I see that White Wolf is suspended because of closure, but if it's safe for the bus to pull off, at the driver's discretion, they'll do it, including Sunrise. Tell the driver what stop you want when you load your pack and board.

Here's current policy from YARTS: http://yarts.com/how-to-ride/

And if you've completed your hike and technically exited the wilderness at Happy Isles, while you still have the right to spend the night at one of the open backpackers' camps, you've already vacated your wilderness permit, so no violation in getting back to the car however you can. If you do end up not being able to get a drop at Sunrise and have to go to TM for some reason, from there to Sunrise, I would thumb it, or better yet, hang out in the parking lot outside the store and ask people if they're headed that way and have room.

And btw- the trail back to Sunrise from TM is about 9 miles, so about another 50% of the distance you traveled to begin with. Nice trail for a day hike, but since YARTS won't have you back to TM till about 6:30 pm, bring a headlamp.
Last edited by Phil on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 pm

I read it as the backpacker bus not being an option. Thing is, YARTS will drop you off anywhere on request and even if you went to TM to visit the store or get a breakfast burrito, you could still take the free shuttle to Olmsted Point or Sunrise or anywhere else on its route.

Or did they do away with the shuttle too?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 pm

I have no idea if the TM shuttle is up and running yet or not, but since there's a daily schedule, and of course, fare structure, I assume it should be an option. Unfortunately, by the time you catch the YARTS bus in the Valley at 5 pm and get up to the store at about 6:30, the last shuttle has done run about an hour before then.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmbus.htm
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 pm

I never thought I'd say it but I'm starting to miss Delaware North.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 pm

:lol:

....You read my mind.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking