Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

HST trip report for Glen Aulin and GCT

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

HST trip report for Glen Aulin and GCT

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:29 am

This is the latest and best trip report (with photos) I've seen of the trail conditions for Glen Aulin and through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. Not too bad. Certainly off-peak. The photos give a great indication of what to expect, and the falls are incredible. To view the photos you'll need to log in or create an account, but you'll clearly see what the crossings look like on some of the prime spots that some of us have been talking about for years.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =1&t=16159
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: HST trip report for Glen Aulin and GCT

Postby idiotwind » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Excellent news!!!!!! Thank you for sharing! I'm doing White Wolf to Glen Auin next month!

I reccomend reading the entire post, but since you have to register on HST to view photos, here they are from jdille on HST from Glean Aulin to Register Creek (towards Pate Valley) If this isn't cool, let me know and I'll remove this post.

Log Jam at the twin bridges

Ramp from steel bridge at Glen Aulin

Conness Bridge downstream

LeConte Falls

Bridge at Return Creek

Return Creek flowing into Tuolumne River. So much water...

Driftwood on the trail. Thinking of how high the water line was earlier this spring.

Crossing at Register Creek

Crossing at Register Creek

Tuolumne River kissing the trail.

Last edited by idiotwind on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idiotwind
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:16 pm

No, that's perfect. Thank you!

Can you also get the one of them wading above California Falls? Everything but that should calm down pretty quickly, but that flooded area tends to persist for quite some time.

Check with the rangers about what they intend to do about the railings being damaged on the bridge at Pate. The same thing happened at Rancheria, a guy died because of it, and last I heard, the bridge was closed until repairs could be made. Slightly different situation, but clarification never hurts. Turnarounds at Pate and back up to WW are like one of the least enjoyable things I can of. We did it once as an overnight down-and-back for fun...it wasn't.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby idiotwind » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 pm

deleted. pics shown above
Last edited by idiotwind on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idiotwind
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 pm

One of the issues will be budget -- just not going to have enough to spread around. Too much damage, not enough personnel or funds to get it all done.

Got to wonder when all the water will subside - definitely not a normal year.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jgaffney » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm

idiotwind wrote:Excellent news!!!!!! Thank you for sharing! I'm doing White Wolf to Glen Auin next month!

I reccomend reading the entire post, but since you have to register on HST to view photos, here they are from jdille on HST from Glean Aulin to Register Creek (towards Pate Valley) If this isn't cool, let me know and I'll remove this post.

Log Jam at the twin bridges

The river must be flowing from left to right, right?
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 pm

"The river must be flowing from left to right, right?"

Yes, you're looking upriver from just shy of the middle of the first footbridge on the way out to Glen Aulin, just above Tuolumne Falls. The main trail is on the left bank of the river in the background, and the trail from behind Pothole Dome is on the right. back in the trees.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby idiotwind » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Since winter came to White Wolf and shut down the lodge and parking lot, does anyone have a suggestion on where to park my vehicle? I am beginning my trek in WW > TM via GCT.

Maybe Lembert Dome parking lot? Is it far? Hitch hike? Also, I confirmed with the YARTS people that my ride back to WW from TM is no longer valid so I got a refund.
idiotwind
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm

I would ask the ranger in the wilderness office if parking off the pavement in a pullout near the WW gate (not in front of the gate itself) would be okay. They can be finicky about overnight parking but if you promise to not leave food or trash in the car (no bear lockers in pullouts) maybe they would let you leave a note on the dash and hitchhike back from TM? Or leave the car in TM and hitchhike to the gate.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:34 pm

The White Wolf lodge is a separate entity from the WW campground. I know the lodge and store will be closed, but that campground gets a lot of traffic, and it's still shown as having some sort of projected opening date in July/August. If/when the campground opens, so will the gate, so call and see if there's anyone that can pin it down more closely (it is at only 7300 ft). Parking on the road up there is limited, the shoulder narrow, and there's a big curve that always seems sketchy to me when I think about all the rental RV drivers. But the rangers get it- if the gate is locked, people have little choice, and there are always a few cars parked. I've never seen anyone harassed or towed if they got well off the roadway and out past the fog line.

For the best parking...safest parking, closest parking, I would use the big turnout just east of the road down to WW, or better yet, the Lukens Lake trailhead not far east from that (with bear lockers). You'll add a few miles to the hike, but even the road down to WW from the gate is about 1.3 miles, so your net gain is pretty minor. And, YARTS will readily drop you back off at either of them, just not White Wolf.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:05 pm

One other thing that you should consider in parking at the Lukens Lake trailhead:

From Lukens, depending on which route you want to take, you don't even have to walk that extra .75 miles or so to enter White Wolf itself unless you've got a hankering to then walk 2.5 miles of access road or see Harden Lake. Just pass by the WW trail junction and keep going. Easy, flat, forested hike most of the way, and the final switchbacks down to the top of Morrison are cake. Your map should show it all clearly.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby idiotwind » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks AlmostThere and Phil! Both of you are correct. I just received an email back from the Ranger and he said...

Hello,
If White Wolf is still closed, you can park your car along the Tioga Road in a turnout. (We opened White Wolf so people could park there, but then found a lot of people camping in the closed campgrounds, so we closed it again until the campground opens.)

Jeffrey

National Park Service
Yosemite National Park
http://www.nps.gov/yose/
idiotwind
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 am

idiotwind wrote:(We opened White Wolf so people could park there, but then found a lot of people camping in the closed campgrounds, so we closed it again until the campground opens.)

Never underestimate the abuses that some people will reap upon good intentions and to the detriment of everyone else. This is why I avoid the Valley like a plague.

But yeah, if the gate is still closed when you get there, I would definitely shoot for that Lukens Lake parking area. Park, dump your stuff in a locker, walk across the road, hit the trail, be on your way to where you want to go with less than a couple hours delay. Grab YARTS back to the car when you get to Tuolumne.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:57 am

It sounds like the rangers are declaring the Pate bridge closed/uncrossable. Someone had a permit request refused, no go for the thru hike of the GCT. You could still go out and back but the rangers believe the bridge is dangerous in the same way the bridge at Wapama (where there was a death already this year) is dangerous.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:32 am

That's pretty huge a closure. Any timeline on repair status, all things considered? I'm sure the trail crews are going to be thrilled with hanging out in Pate with this heat.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking