Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Redwood Trees

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Redwood Trees

Postby florida fly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:52 am

My wife would like to vaction in the Yosemite area but she also wants to see redwood trees. Are there any redwoods near Yosemite?
florida fly
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Wickett » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 am

There are three groves of Giant Seqouias, not Redwoods, in the park. The Mariposa Grove, the Tuolumne grove, and the Merced grove. There might be more but these are just the ones that I know of off hand.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Heybooboo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Florida fly,
There are two species of "redwood" trees that grow in California. Coastal Redwood are the skinnier of the two species and they grow along the coast in what is called the fog belt. Starting in Santa Cruz mountains and going north along the coast to the Oregon border. Tallest of these trees is over 367' in Humboldt County.
Giant Sequoia is the other species and those grow in the Sierra Nevada mountains around a zone about 5000' in elevation starting in Sequoia Nat'l Park north to Calaveras Big Trees just north of Sonora. These larger specimens of these trees are over 20' in diameter and under 300' tall and are the largest living things on the planet. These trees' branches are larger than the largest trees east of the Rocky Mtns.
Yosemite has Giant Sequoia.

Sounds like a road trip to me to get them both in.

Have fun.
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite